Followers

Tuesday, May 24, 2022

Two Consecutive Anniversaries!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


                                                      Exactly fifty years ago, on May 23, the film version of "The Other," Thomas Tryon's 1971 best-selling Gothic horror novel, opened at the then existing Coronet Theater.  



                                                         I saw it, in June, at said theater, and it had an impact on me at the time.  It fed into my loneliness of adolescence, and the need for connection.   I almost felt like I wanted the same experience.  I was blown away by the quality of the film; so much so, that, in November of 1972, I interviewed the Udvarnoky twins in their Westfield, New Jersey, home (Just one year after the John List murders!) for my high school newspaper.  They were great.  But never made another film and went on to lead regular lives.



                                                            Sadly, Chris Udvarnoky, who played Niles, died in 2010 at the untimely age of 49.  He died from a genetically inherited kidney disease.  Martin is still out there, and I wish him the best.  



                                                                Sad, too, is how "The Other" has become virtually forgotten.  Anyone having never seen it is encouraged here to do so.  The last time I watched it, I spotted something in the film I never realized all the years I had seen it.  But it remains an iconic film in my lifetime.



                                                                  Happy 50th Anniversary to "The Other!"  May it regain the classic stature it deserves!

                                                   The novel, by Thomas Tryon.  I own this hardback copy!

                                       Now, darlings, fifty-six years ago tonight, Angela Lansbury and Company opened at the Winter Garden in "MAME," one of my all-time favorite musicals, with one of the greatest overtures, and it was just too damn bad that I was just too damn young to go into the city, and see it myself!



                                           Of course, this is the day to listen to the great cast album.  By the way, I just found out today that Angela Lansbury--probably the only cast member still alive--is getting a special TONY Award, along the lines of Life Achievement.  Lansbury, who will be 97---yes!!!!!!!!!!--in October, richly deserves this, and I am proud to say I have seen almost all of her signature performances, including a revival of "MAME," at the Gershwin Theatre, back in 1983.  In fact, I saw it three times.


                                              So, as the song says, "Light the candles, get the ice out.....!!!!!!!!!!!!"  


                                              Celebrate these two iconic anniversaries!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


                                              More things took place in May than I realized!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 
                                  The show had what I consider the perfect opening.  Here are Jane Connell, as Agnes Gooch, and Frankie Michaels, as Young Patrick Dennis, singing "St. Bridget," just like it they did, fifty-six years ago tonight!

4 comments:

Victoria said...

Tell us what you spotted that you had never noticed before!!!
I’m intrigued!!

The Raving Queen said...

Victoria,
Though the twins have many scenes together,
they are never seen in the same frame.

KaylaR said...

"The Other" is one of my favorite films! I, too, saw it in a theater. It really needs to be seen with an audience. Sigh. Thank you for your hommage to one deliciously eerie film.

The Raving Queen said...

KaylaR

"The Other" had a huge impact on me.
You are right; it needs a screen and an
audience. So glad to meet a fellow fan.
I would hope some theater revives it, so
it stops being a forgotten film--except
by the likes of us. Thanks for sharing!@