Followers

Tuesday, February 28, 2023

It Really IS Habit-Forming, Girls!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


                                   It has always been a tradition, over David's vacation, that we see a show.  Covid took care of that, but so did a lack of interest in what was being done, and soaring ticket prices.  So, when I saw that the Narrows Community Theatre in Bay Ridge were doing "Nunsense," the last weekend of his vacation, I thought this would be perfect.  David has never seen it, but I have, several times.



                                    Back in the Eighties, in the Baldwin School, for just three dollars, I saw this show when it was getting on its feet.  And I loved it.   I bought the cast recording.  Then I saw it down at Circle Rep, and then uptown Off-Broadway, somewhere in the West Forties, where it was being done with men in drag!  How I would have loved to have been in that.  However, due to casting, the men were not as funny as any of the women I have seen perform it, including Rue McClanahan, on television.  And you can see some of it on YouTube.



                                     I have to say, after decades, "Nunsense" holds up.  The actresses assembled have powerhouse voices that could do "Follies."  My favorite number, of course, is "Holier Than Thou," which mentions St. Bernadette, whom you all know I just love!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  But there was something heartbreaking and yearning in Sister Mary Amnesia's "I Could Have Gone To Nashville," wistfully recalling broken dreams.  This is the role I would love to tackle!!!!!!!!!!!!



                                        As for its spoof of Catholicism, it is irreverent, but never sacrilegious.  One bit is dated, and I won't reveal what, but the actress doing the Reverend Mother performed it with comic timing and skill.



                                         It was a great wrap-up to David's vacation.  And the only other religious order I could join besides The Sisters Of Perpetual Indulgence!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!



                                           And we saw it in the auditorium of St. Patrick's Church, on 95th Street and Fourth Avenue, in Bay Ridge.  Plus, it has a statue of the Virgin and Bernadette!!!!!!!!!!!!



                                            Alleluia!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2 comments:

Victoria said...

You saw Nunsense?!!!
I am green with envy!!
Uh-oh that’s one of the Seven Deadly Sins!!!!!!

The Raving Queen said...

Victoria,
It was such an emotional boost--fun and well perfomed. You shoud see it; maybe you could play one of the nuns.