Followers

Sunday, September 13, 2026

Girls, These Are The Real "Spinster City" Apartments!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


                          I have seen entries on the Internet referring to this month as Spinster September, and I cannot figure why!   Are spinsters supposed to get their due?  Are they now being honored?  During my 24 years of spinsterhood, from 31 to 55 (one is not designated a spinster till one reaches the age of 31) I did not feel especially honored, but I got around, to compensate for my being alone Now I have experiences to look back on and write about.



                              The building here in question is The Ansonia Apartments, at 501, Raritan Avenues, in Highland Park, New Jersey, my hometown.  The entrance is actually on Fifth Avenue in a secluded corner with beet red walls suggesting something mysterious.  The lobby is a tiny spinster lobby, and I had always thought I would end up in one of the front windows, hopefully on the third or fourth floors, looking out on the town.  



                                  Can you imagine, darlings?  This is how I had scripted my life!  The bus stop just across the street would take me to New Brunswick, from which I would take the bus to New York!   If things had turned out this way, I might have been in a mental hospital repeatedly reading "The Bell Jar," by Sylvia Plath!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!



                                       Instead, the apartments David and I are in now are hardly spinsterish.  And New York is only a subway ride away.



                                          Sometimes a change in script can make a difference!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments: