Followers

Tuesday, February 12, 2019

ENCORES' 2019 "Call Me Madam!" Deserved A Chance!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Before getting into the wonders of the latest ENCORES' production of "Call Me Madam," allow me to say a few things outright!

First, I am tired of all the mainstream critics decrying that Carmen Cusack (no relation to the CHICAGO Cuscakcs--John, Joan, etc.) is not Ethel Merman.  First of all, who is?  And second, this wasn't one of Merman's world beaters, even in her day, so, for all that it was written for her, this is one show where a non-Mermanesque performer can shine.  Miss Cusack, in the lead role of Sally Adams, has a technically more beautiful voice than Merman, can project when need be, and thanks to the production's dazzling costumes, looks ravishing. In fact, all the Fifties dresses and gowns do.  Really, I don't know what all the negative fuss was about.

Then there is this guy, Jason Gotay, who made me sit up in my seat, and say, "Who the hell is this?
He is a find, and were I a casting agent in that audience, I would have signed him on the spot.  The last time I was this impressed by a voice was when I heard Jessie Mueller sing in "On A Clear Day You Can See Forever."  And, of course, Lindsay Mendez in "Carousel."  Those are females; it is rare a male voice catches my attention.  Jason Gotay's gorgeous voice does wonders on "It's A Lovely Day Today," but when he and Cusack do "You're Just In Love," it stops the show because of BOTH of them!!!!!!!!!!!!  He brings pure musical theater heaven to this production!!!!!!!!!!!!!

     Lastly, I have to say something about the Men's Room at City Center, during Intermission.
Oh, my God, what a group of Alta Cockers!!!!!!!!!!   The whole place looked like a museum of waxworks, from the silent movie of the same name, and, standing up, they even looked like corpses!!!!!!!!!!  Are these aging Theater Queens?  I did not recognize a one!  Is this my future?
I hope not!  Thank God I hydrate, moisturize, and use make-up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That said, let me say, after reading these indolent critics, I walked  into "Call Me Madam," with very low expectations!  Was I wrong!  Denis Jones' choreography restored dance elegance to the Broadway musical stage, and aficionados, watching, could see in it, the forthcoming of such masters as Jerome Robbins and Michael Bennett.

Ben Davis made a dashing romantic lead, in a performance that seemed to channel Theodore Bikel. Randy Rainbow brought a flaming presence to a role that I am not sure would have even been conceived as such, back in 1950; ditto Brad Oscar.  The whole thing was as old fashioned and corn ball as one could get, but with the production values and performances--directed by Casey Hutchinson--it was so darn much fun, I had a wonderful time, and the audience at our performance seemed to, as well!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Though the run ended on February 10, I wish it could have been extended, or moved, so other folk could see it.  Rarely has a production given such a glimpse into what was simply standard, not unique during Broadway's Golden Age.   By today's standards it would be unique; in its day, it was just a minor bauble, tossed out by the likes of Irving Berlin!

Jason Gotay is on his way!

As for the critics, forget about them!  To paraphrase Bette Davis in "All About Eve,"--"They never see a play or movie; they're never indoors long enough!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Don't listen to them, darlings!  Listen to a Queen, who knows!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!




No comments: