Followers

Thursday, February 7, 2019

I Will Try Again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


                                    The author's name is Otsuichi, and he is a man!!!!!!!!!!!!!

                                     I found this book at a Barnes And Noble, recently, and it seemed to peak my interest. It led me to expect a riff on the teen detective genre--Nancy Drew amped up a bit.  Two teenagers, Morino, and a nameless boy, living in Japan, want to investigate and understand serial killers.  I get it.

                                       Except things aren't what is first thought.  The two teens seem to not only want to understand serial killers, but to become them.

                                        Each chapter is titled after a serial killer's particular victim, motive, or skill, and seems like a string of short stories, with the same characters, a device I despise.

                                          The reader has to suspend a lot of disbelief--there seems, in this town, to be a serial killer lurking around every corner.  They are out there, true, they are hidden, but the degree in this town is just beyond believability.

                                             Yet the novel is entertaining, though lurid.

                                               If one can tolerate its non-traditional structure, a better time could be head.

                                               I like my murder and mayhem straightforward, darlings!!!!!!!!!!!!

2 comments:

Victoria said...

Trope, cliche, formula, whatever they want to call it, that type of writing has run its course

The Raving Queen said...


Victoira,

I hope you are right. I got suckered
in to this one, but not again!