Followers

Monday, May 20, 2019

Another Nail In The Coffin Of New York City Culture!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


                                Culture is what so many of my generation--the Baby Boomers--fled to New York City for.  Now that that is dwindling, the question many begin to ask themselves, is "What's the point of staying here, anyway?"

                                   The sadness is prompted by my discovery that BookBook, now  located on 266 Bleecker Street, will be closing in May.  That is this month, darlings!  What I am not clear about is WHEN in May the closing is.  One article says the end of the month, while others say the 15th or the 19th, which means I am going to have to make a trek to the city this week, and see what is what. I hope it is still open, so I can take some items away with me,  as a tribute to owners, Carolyn Epstein and Chuck Mullen.

                                  I knew them well.  Or, got to know them as a regular customer, during my spinster years.  The store originally opened in 1984, as Biography Bookstore, on the corner of Bleecker and Charles Streets.  The address was 111 Bleecker Street, and, eventually, across the street, along came something called the Magnolia Bakery!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

                                  For years, if I were free, it was my Friday night ritual to dine in the Village, then make the rounds of this store, and maybe pick  up some savories at the Magnolia!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

                                   This went on till about ten years ago, when Marc Jacobs took over the Biography Building, Bleecker Street went all Upper East Side, and the store moved to 111 Bleecker, under the name BookBook.

                                    Now, it is not like I never visited it.  But over the years, because of its now out of the way locale, and Three Lives closer, the store got kind of lost, for me, in the shuffle!  I took it for granted it would always be there.

                                     I should have known better.  I will miss this store.  I still wonder what ever happened  to aspiring film maker Juan, who worked there, and with whom I discussed some lively ideas.
Carolyn, and Chuck, I shall miss you, and the store, not only for the books, but for the emotional comfort the store and your warmth provided during some years that were difficult for me to navigate.

If you turn up anywhere else, I will be there!

But what a cultural loss!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2 comments:

Victoria said...

Precious memories.

The Raving Queen said...


Victoria,

They are, indeed, precious memories, and I
cherish them!