Followers

Tuesday, May 7, 2019

Remember The Campy Fun Of Midnight Movies, Like "Reefer Madness???????????????"

""

                              The first time I saw the 1936 film "Reefer Madness"--which was the only time I saw it, girls!--I thought it was a hoot!  This was meant to show how marijuana could ruin one's life, but it was just too funny for me to believe that, as witness here.  Of course, I never had much use for marijuana, myself.  I got high on experiences like this!!!!!!!!!!!

                               My favorite scene, which was pure camp, and echoed something the following year--Andrea Leeds taking that tragic final walk up the stairs, in "Stage Door."--involved a woman walking down a hallway to a window,  preparing to make a suicidal jump, because marijuana had ruined her life.

                                The actress is shown from the back, because I bet she had a hard time keeping a straight face, while shooting this scene.

                                   I wish I could show you the scene, which has to be seen to be believed.

                                    Yes, Midnight Movies were once a New York staple.  They occasionally turn up, but not like in my youth.  The reason is they were an excuse for a group of people to sit in a crowded room, look at the screen, and act like idiots.

                                       Now that that has become commonplace in daytime movie theaters across the country, what is the point???????????????

                                         But you should see "Reefer Madness," darlings, for madcap fun!!!!!!!!!!!!
Midnight Movies were such fun, dolls!  Giving us all we could want!!!!!!!!!!!!

2 comments:

Videolaman said...

Like many fun things we remember fondly, the Midnight Movie phenomenon only lasted from the late 60s thru the mid-80s. Wonderful while we had it, but sadly killed by the rise of home video and VHS, along with the local movie theaters in every neighborhood.

No one loves home video theaters more than me, but its a shame the communal experience has dwindled to near-nothing. Watching Reefer Madness or Female Trouble or Eraserhead alone, or even with a couple friends, isn't nearly as entertaining as watching in movie theater full of strangers communing together at midnight. Which wasn't always midnight anyway: you could usually go much earlier. Unlike today, when IFC starts many of its "midnight" shows at 1am: nobody is attending that unless they live in Manhattan below 96th Street. Who wants to stumble home to Brooklyn at 4am?

The Raving Queen said...


Darling,
You are right about IFC.
Maybe thirty years ago I could
have crawled home to Brooklyn at
4AM, but now.

I faced this truth when the Sunshine
Cinmea--remember that?--was having a
midnight screening of "Rosemary's Baby."
I wanted to go, but making it out of that
dicey neighborhood to go home? No way!