Followers

Sunday, December 6, 2020

Now, Here Are MY Picks, Darlings!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Take Careful Note!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


                                   At least, as far as my "Top Five Fiction Books Of 2020" go.  Honesty, girls, who needs "The New York Times," when there is "The Raving Queen?"   Is there any overlap?  Yes, actually two books on my list match "The New York Times".  All ready?  Let's go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


                                                                               

                                     1.  "Hamnet," by Maggie O'Farrell--Without question, darlings, this was my "Book Of The Year."  Its detailing the grievous impact on a family of the  loss of a child, and how it led to Shakespeare creating one of his best known works is both moving,  beautiful, poetically written, and I almost cried real tears!  This is the REAL thing--a skilled literary "What if?"
                                         2.  "Utopia Avenue," by David Mitchell--I would read Mitchell no matter what; even though his previous book, "Slade  House," had all the elements I craved,  it was like an  aspic that failed  to gel.  So, I picked up "Utopia Avenue," with a little trepidation.  But once opened,  I could not stop; the title, referring to a British band during the Sixties manned  by three guys and a girl.  Three of the quartet are song writers.  The lone female, Elf Holloway, seems a stand in for Stevie Nicks, and the novel chronicles the rise and fall of the group, especially how and why they disintegrate.  While doing so, one learns much about the music business, and Sixties groups, as just about everyone from that era Boomers can recall is referenced.  Those non-Boomers will learn much.  If "Hamnet" had not crossed  my path, this might have been my "Book  Of The Year."  Read it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                                        3.  "The Vanishing Half," by Brit Bennett--Another book on which "The Times" and I overlap.  This sisters story is fast paced, insightful, and  honest in its depicting the varied aspects of the Black  experience in America.  Perfect for these times,  but the literary quality is good enough to be welcome  in any!
                                          4.  "A Burning,"  by Megha Majumdar--It is certainly a Sin Of Omission this did not makes "The Times" list.  This is what should have replaced "A Children's Bible."  It is this year's "There, There," examining two stories, one where a young Muslim woman named Jivan witnesses a terrible train accident, and the negligence displayed by the police in handling it, and its impact on her, as her story overlaps with her former gym teacher, a man named P.T. Sir, and his evolving from a mind mannered man into a terrorist.  Frightening and disturbing, it is too good to ignore, with a sense of structure and timing that does not let the novel wander off course.  Do not miss this one, darlings!  And feh!!!!!!!!! on "The New York Times!"
                                          5.  "Fifty Words For Rain," by Asha Lemmie--Oh, my God, girls  this is the most entertaining novel of the year!  A big, gorgeous MGM  1950's type epic,  written  with the political sensibility of today's  time.  A wealthy heiress is abandoned from her Japanese family for carrying on with an American soldier, and  getting knocked  up.  She is thrown through the gate onto the street.  Several years later,  she leaves the child on her former  home's steps, hoping the child's grandmother will give her a better life.  What follows is a harrowing tale of abuse and vengeance that comes full circle when  karma rewards the now grown child for her travails.  Gorgeous, tapestried imagery, emotionally volatile characters, this was an unexpected surprise, and I knew it would be on my list, when I found myself,  days after finishing it, unable to stop thinking about it.  Grab yourselves a copy, and sit back!!!!!!!!!!!

                                          Well, there you have it!   All this should provide  enough reading material  for some time to come.  Speaking for my list, it IS superior to "The New York Times," if I do say so,  myself.

                                         Meanwhile, having written all day, I shall stop and have a drink!

                                          I am still a Gibson Girl!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2 comments:

Victoria said...

Yikes I’ve only read two of those; I have some catching up to do!!

The Raving Queen said...


Victoria,
As do I! I am currently reading
book#95, while trying to reach
100, for the year!