Followers

Sunday, December 6, 2020

Weird, But Unusually Moving!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!



 
                                  

                                           Frankly, my dears, I expected a lot more from this book.  I had no problem with "The Twenty-One Balloons," but,  while this is an adult novel, I really had to suspend a lot of disbelief, and just go with it,  in order to enjoy it.


                                             The reader is presented with a young bride, on her wedding day, getting a visit from a parakeet, who turns out to be a reincarnation of her deceased grandmother.  That is the first  thing the reader has to swallow.  As the novel progresses, the reader discovers, before the bride, that she and her spouse-to-be are not really suited for one another.  Keeping this in mind, the "grandmother" urges her granddaughter to find her estranged brother.  This results in a predictable quest novel,  examining life choices, and  suggesting love is not always found where one expects to.


                                              If I  sound apathetic,  I really am not.  The book just did not "do it" for me.  Its brevity is a virtue.  The author writes beautifully, but I had hoped this might be a surprise gem. Alas, it was not.


                                              Save yourselves the trouble, darlings!  However, anyone out there addicted to any sort of whimsy may find this to be their cup of tea!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2 comments:

Victoria said...

As with any book or song or movie, the WHY do we love it or loathe it, is had to put your finger on sometimes!

The Raving Queen said...


Victoria,
Agreed. I wanted to love it
more than I did, but maybe
the author's style prevented it.