Followers

Sunday, December 13, 2020

Predictable, But Loved The Cruel, Twisted Ending!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


                                              I am not going to tell you what it is, girls, because I am not a spoilsport, but I will say this is  the first mystery novel  Banville has  written,  under his real  name.   Previously, he wrote  under  the  pseudonym Benjamin  Black, and his first effort, "Christine Falls" I found thrilling.  I would read more  of  the  Black  novels,  if only I had  more  time.


                                             "Snow" is perfect, not only for this time of year,  but it  offers a cleanser to those recovering from bigger, more ambitious reads.


                                                It is essentially a murder mystery, and a  family saga.  The Osbornes purport to be the pillar of  their Irish community, but are they really, now?  Anyone who knows the genre  knows the answer to that one.  


                                                   A body is found in the library!  Oh, my God!  Who did it?  Miss Scarlett?  Colonel Mustard?   Who, by the way, Colonel Osborne here could be a stand in for.


                                                    And the murder victim turns out to a socially self-ingratiating priest, known  to the family as Father Tom.  It does not take long to fathom the reason for his murder, and where this novel is going.  But the twist is well worth it!


                                                     As enjoyable as "Snow" is, it seems  like Banville cranked it out in a hurry, maybe to fulfill a contractual obligation,  or to get  out of the Black mystery niche.


                                                       I  wish he would go back  to it.  "Snow"  will offer hours of entertaining,  diverting  fun,  but is not on  the level of "Christine Falls."


                                                        If only Banville  could reach that level again!


                                                 

4 comments:

Victoria said...

I will skip it.
Wouldn’t mind playing a game of Clue though!!

The Raving Queen said...


Victoria,

I loved the game of "Clue" when young.
My favorite room was the conservatory!

Victoria said...

I liked the conservatory as well.
And I always wanted to be Miss Scarlett.
A girl can dream lol

The Raving Queen said...


Victoria,
I always wanted to be Colonel Mustard.
I think it was the color of his outfit,
I liked. The more people I played with,
the more often I ended up being Professor
Plum!