Followers

Monday, May 31, 2021

Happy Memorial Day, Darlings!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


                                     From the time  I was born,  until 1971,  when it was celebrated on  the  last  Monday of May,  Memorial Day was  always celebrated on May 30.   I remember that day vividly, as I had had in mind a different  picture than the one seen, dolls!  On  May 30, there was always a parade,  in the  morning,  down  Raritan  Avenue, which was that town's biggest event.


                                     Then, in the afternoon, we  would drive over to  my paternal grandparents house, at 702 Nassau Street,  in North Brunswick, and sit on the front porch,  and watch, as the parade marched  right in front of  us.


                                      This  is  still how  I always remember  this  day, and what I had  planned to  show,  pictured was  that  house, circa the 1960's.  Alas,  I could  find none, and  what stands  on  that  land  known is  so ponderous and pretentious,  my grandparents,  not to mention  my maiden aunt and godmother,  Katty, would turn  in their  graves.  As they are probably doing,  right  now.


                                        So, for me, Memorial Day is for remembering those times, locales, and people that made my childhood  special.  It is a day of honor and remembrance, after all, and this is how I choose to remember.  And I wish it  WOULD go back to May 30!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


                                         What I  did not realize, or forgot, was that it started after  the Civil War.  Was that when  families  started having cemetery picnics, at the graves of  their dead beloveds?????????????


                                              I always thought that would be kind of fun.   Provided I do not go, alone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


 

2 comments:

Victoria said...

I’m with you!!!

The Raving Queen said...


Victoria,

Yes, Memorial Day is for special
memories! Maybe those CW picnickers knew
what they were doing!