Followers

Sunday, May 23, 2021

I Just Cannot Get Enough Of This Photograph!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


                                    Two days ago,  May 21, was the 62nd Anniversary of "GYPSY" opening  on Broadway,  with Ethel Merman, and Company.  Theater queens should know that, and they should know  this photo,  which I have used in other posts.  This is the human Christmas tree at Minsky's, during the latter part of the show, when Louise/Gypsy ascends to the heights of Broadway stardom.


                                        It is so eye catching that it bothers me it has never been used in any other production of  "GYPSY."  If I live to see  another production,  I  hope and  pray someone restores  this  visual image  to  the  production.  I can't understand why it was not used again.


                                          The story goes that, during its planning stages,  "GYPSY" was designed, by Jerome Robbins, to be a concept musical, celebrating the history of  the American variety stage.  It emerged as a conventional book musical, but thanks to Arthur Laurents, what a book,  and to  Jule Styne and Stephen Sondheim,  what a score; ground breaking in some ways.


                                             So, let's remember "GYPSY" for what it was, and what it could have been, and may be some day.


                                               Though now that Patti  LuPone has crystalized Rose for  this  generation, just as Ethel Merman did for hers,  I doubt there will  be another  production while Patti  lives.  May that be a long time.


                                                     But, hey,  girls,  you need a creative activity?  Stage your own human Christmas tree!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2 comments:

Victoria said...

I Love musical theater!!
I mean, who doesn’t ?!!
It’s coming back, and we will never take it for granted again!!!

The Raving Queen said...


Victoria,

Well, as I am sure you know,
I cannot wait.