Followers

Sunday, August 1, 2021

I Read Up A Storm This Month, As Will Be Seen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


                                      Good grief; I had not realized so much has been read since my last post on this topic.  I got so  confused,  I started rewriting on  books already covered, then had to go back and delete.

                                          

                                                                               



                                                                                 

So, this is what I ended up with, darlings!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


                                                                              

                                           "The Plot," by Jean Hanf Korelitz--Oh, my God, girls,  did  this  take  me by surprise.  And let me tell you why.   It was because I hated Jean Hanf  Korelitz' previous novel, "You Should Have Known."  Overwritten, with a plot I could see right through, I thought the whole thing a waste of time.  I had heard good things about "The Plot," but did not realize, till I got it home, that it was by the same author.  Groan!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  However, the premise was too good to pass up--a once renowned writer, now reduced to teaching in a third rate MFA program, encounters an arrogant student, named Evan Parker.  What he is even doing in the program is a mystery not  realized till completing the novel.  He tells his instructor a story he feels will be a sure fire success.   Later, when the former one hit wonder learns  of  Parker's demise,  he takes hold of  the plot, and "writes" it for him.  He is the toast of  the town,  Oprah,  the whole nine yards.  But then harassment starts--"You stole Evan Parker's story."  Phone calls,  letters, emails, you name it.  I did not get suspicious till the last twenty pages!  And after that, well  things get fairly Hitchcockian!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   I loved "The Plot," so much I  am  willing to  forgive the author for her past indiscretion.  Do not miss  this  one, girls!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!



                                                                  

                                            "Detransition, Baby," by Torrey Peters--It sure seems like this is the Year Of The Debut. Torrey Peters' first novel is challenging in both good and bad ways.  It is a character story of three people who want to raise a child as a communal family.  Or so they think.  The catch is--and the novel  is character driven,  not  science fiction-- the reader has got to go  with the idea that one born a man,  who then transforms to a woman,  and then back to a  man, can  impregnate a cis woman.  I had trouble with that one, dolls.   By the way, a "cis" woman is  one actually born female. But Peters (whose gender identity I am not  quite  sure of) does not bother  with a glossary.  She assumes everyone knows the lingo  of the trans community, even if they don't.   I embrace the community,  but Peters needs to grasp not all readers are as astute about it as she is.   Worth the read, but with strong reservations.



                                                                              

                                          "Actress," by Anne Enright-- Not just for Theater Queens, though they are sure to love this, too.  Written  in the form of a memoir, the fictional daughter of fictional  Irish actress Katherine Odell tells her mother's story, covering not only theater in the early to mid-twentieth century, but Ireland, Broadway, and  the  world in general.  Historical and theatrical, this is one of the most insightful books about living the theatrical life--pluses and minuses-- I have ever  read.  Recommended for  all, especially those who aspire to such a life.  See what you are in for,  dolls!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!



                                                                                 

                                               "The Song Of Achilles," by Madeline Miller--Not since Donna Tartt has an author had such a firm grasp on  the Classics and mythology.  This was her debut novel, published in 2011, and I came to it, having read her second novel, "Circe," published in 2018.  The big surprise is this is another book David and I mutually enjoyed.  Miller includes a glossary, and an explanation of something that is sure to surprise many, but the panorama, pace, history, and mythology all combined in Miller's gorgeous prose, makes this a must.  I could be shot for saying this, but high school English teachers forced to teach Homer, or Virgil, should hold off till  Miller gets to them. Then students will understand what they are reading.  Despite my literary acumen, I always found verse reading tedious and hard to grasp.  No such problem , here!   Read this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!



                                                 So, that's my reading for the rest of July!  Can't wait to see what August brings!   See you then


                             



                                                                           

                               

 


                                                               



                                                             



                                                            



                                                                   




                                                                              



                                                                                



                                         


                                                                                

                                      

3 comments:

Victoria said...

I kind of want to hear the ending of Detransition.
Pretty certain I’m not going to read it...

Victoria said...

I WiILL try the Anne Enright, definitely.
Right now I’m reading about the Barbizon Hotel.

The Raving Queen said...


Victoria,
Definitely read the Enright.

As for "Detransition, Baby,"
Katrina ends up having an abortion
long past the recommended time, the
other two are pissed, and they all
go their separate ways!