Followers

Friday, October 7, 2022

Illustrations Like These Always Sadden Me, Awe Me With Their Beauty, And Make Me Yearn For The Security Of Childhood!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


                                           Yes, darlings, there was a time when I might have been one of those children in this drawing.  At sadder times, I often yearn for the security I took for granted when I was a child.  Before I reached adolescence, when I could not wait to get to adulthood, and now, having been there almost forty years, am wondering, "What was all the rush?"



                                              I remember being comforted by the jar of Mother's Oats, where the child was being fed oats by his mother.  I always made sure my mother bought that item, because of the drawing.  Now, Mother's Oats does not even exist.



                                                 Of course, I cannot speak for all.  But save for health issues I tried not to let deter me; my childhood was pretty good.  So much so I often wish I could go back.  Like in "Our Town."



                                                    Are there things I might have done differently?  Many.



                                                    I appreciated what I had, then, and even more so now.



                                                      No wonder I am drawn to Victorian literature and art.  They draw me back to a past which I might sugar coat, but still wish I could have been a part of.



                                                        To paraphrase Blanche Du Bois, "charm is fifty percent illusion."

4 comments:

Victoria said...

And even when I’m old and gray
I’m going to feel the way I do today

The Raving Queen said...

Victoria,

What a comforting tought.
I appreciate that.

Victoria said...

When my stepdad was suffering from dementia he seemed to go back in time, reliving his childhood and young adulthood.

The Raving Queen said...

Victoria,
That is what I always imagined most Alzheimer
patients did. If the memories were pleasant, they
could be better off there, then where they actually are.