Followers

Monday, October 3, 2022

Things I Still Wonder About "Promising Young Woman!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"


                                      I use this film to calm myself when I am upset, much like using Carly Simon's song, "You're So Vain," for when I went through bad breakups.  Watching clips from this brilliant 2020 film, helped me heal from the wounds inflicted on me by not being invited to that Bat Mitzvah, last month.



                                        Still, as I watched these clips, I could not help wondering about certain aspects of the film's plot devices.  I know I should just go along with it, but I cannot stop myself from thinking.



                                          I should advise you to stop reading here, if you have never seen the film, as I might reveal spoilers.  There is no reason not to see this masterful film, so give it a try, before reading any further.  Remember, I warned you.   Here goes--



                                           I wonder if, after Cassie's talk with Dean Walker (magnificently played by Connie Britton) it had any impact at all on the administrator?



                                          Same with former classmate Madison, played by Alison Brie.  Why get so jumpy the closer Cassie gets to the truth?  And how did she come by that video which she gave to Cassise, which Cassie then uses to turn the tables on everyone?  Does that mean that Madison was there, watching and filming Nina's rape?  And she did nothing?  At least turn it over to the police?  And after slut shaming Nina?  If Cassie, at scene's end, is given money and a room key enabling Madison to experience what Nina went through, well, then I think Madison deserves it for how she has behaved.



                                            But the ones I wonder most about are the parents.  Mrs. Fisher (in a wonderful bit by Molly Shannon) is moving and sympathetic in telling Cassie she has to move on, but what I think she doesn't realize is that, in many ways, Cassie is already dead, herself.  Making the whole film tragic.  As for me, I have lost people to suicide, and it took me a lot longer to move on than it did Mrs. Fisher.



                                            Moreover, what about Cassie's parents?  Do they even care?  Their daughter drops out of medical school, due to trauma, and they act like she should just go on, as though everything is fine? Did they urge her to seek help?  What happens when Cassie disappears?  Are they even worried?  Do they wonder?  None of these scenes are shown, but all of these ideas crossed my mind.



                                               Will Joseph, who runs away, as soon as he sees the police cars approaching, get caught?  Will he be convicted, as he should?



                                                "Promising Young Women" is not a hate mantra against all straight men.  Just those who are White, and privileged.



                                                And not all of them are bad guys, either!

2 comments:

Victoria said...

I like Molly Shannon.
I get the impression she has stayed humble and generous

The Raving Queen said...

Victoria,
I used to see Molly Shannon
in the Village. She always seemed
down to earth.