Followers

Monday, October 7, 2019

Surprise, Surprise, Girls!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


                                        With her latest novel, "Inland," shaping up to being one of this Fall's literary events, I decided to go back and have a second look--or so I thought--at Tea Obreht's debut novel, "The Tiger's Wife.

                                          Now, I do not like novels that are strung together like a string of short stories, but the thing about Obreht--whose impressive debut this was, back in 2011--is how connected everything is.  Natalia and her grandfather, the folk stories, like the title character and the blacksmith, as well as domestic and medical upheaval in the Balkan countries.

                                            I had a marvelous time on what I thought was my second reading.

                                            But, when I went back through my book lists, I discovered it was not there.  I thought I had read it before, but I had not.  I am so glad I did not miss it, and now look forward to reading "Inland."

                                              Tea Obreht did here what few writers are able.  Stay tuned for a post on another book that does the same thing, and fails miserably.

                                                Happy Reading, Girls!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2 comments:

Victoria said...

Not only do I read books I think I have already read, I also re-read books I think I have NOT read lol

The Raving Queen said...


Victoria,

I do the same thing too.
This may be my sign of aging!