Followers

Wednesday, October 2, 2019

What A Literary Dilemma I Am In, Girls!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

                                                                           Or
                         I have assigned myself a mammoth project, which I am not sure I will be able to accomplish, but I have to try.  You know, I have always been one to have to prove myself, even if no one else knows about it, or cares. It is how I got through K-12!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

                            Now, "Duck, Newburyport," by Lucy Ellmann, came out this year.  Not for ought is it what it is; she is the daughter of definitive James Joyce biographer, Richard Ellman, so, taking that into consideration, it is not surprising she has constructed a 1,040 page novel chronicling a woman's thoughts during a typical day, and said to be a single sentence, and with only three paragraph breaks.

                              My sources at Three Lives Bookstore tell me it is worth reading, that it is enjoyable, though, with its structure, hard to break away from.  I can imagine.

                                Last year, Uwe Johnson's "Anniversaries" was the tome of the year, and came out in two volumes--each containing two books.  Again, my sources tell me this is the one to read before Ellman; it is conventionally structured, epic in history and scope, and a pleasure to read, despite the mammoth length.

                                    So, here is what I have decided to do.

                                     "The Most Fun We Ever Had" was the 78th book I have read this year.  My goal, as always, is to reach 100 before the end of that year.  If I do, then I will start "Anniversaries."
Should I not, I face this dilemma.  Do I start "Anniversaries" in January, after finishing out the book I started in December (if, indeed this scenario happens) or should I revert to tradition and read #3 of the Northanger Horror Novels, which I have done for the past two years, or go to "Anniversaries" first?

                                          I can't decide, girls. You tell me.  Meanwhile, I have to get cracking those books, because, if I am to begin "Anniversaries" this year, I have 22 more books to read!

                                          Wish me luck, dolls!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2 comments:

Victoria said...

Hmm, I’m inclined to say “Anniversaries” first

The Raving Queen said...


OK, Victoria,
"Anniversaries" it is!
I will post when I begin it!