Followers

Thursday, November 3, 2022

An Inspiration Passes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


                      Yes, an inspiration, because, as I shall recount, Julie Powell was the inspiration for my blog. 


                       Let me first say the kitchen is David's domain.  Having seen the 2009 movie "Julie and Julia" several times, I wrote a post, back in the day, for how gay men could meet a future partner/husband while attending this film.  I hope, for some, it worked.



                        When the film came out, I had not read the book.  I did, upon viewing the film.   I had no illusions about cooking any of the recipes in Julia Child's book--though I would love to attempt that raspberry swirl thing.  At the time of the film, I was still a spinster, living in Woodside, where I was not especially happy, but was safe.  I did get the idea of making Nora Ephron's famous chocolate cream pie; after all, how difficult could it be?



                           Well, the filling and crust turned out fine.  But when it came to whisk and making the meringue, well, I got so into it, the bowl and whisk flew, and I had stuff spilled all over the kitchen.  Like Amy Adams in the movie, I sat down and cried.  Eventually, I pulled myself together, cleaned up, did it again, only it came out like I was covering the pie with Reddi-Whip.  And, after baking, it still looked the same.  Oh, it was edible, but my attempt was a flop.  I was no Julie Powell.



                            Now, about my blog.  It started in 2007, and if one looks to the left, one sees not many postings in 2007 and 2008.  My original intention was to make this blog more literary, with potential short stories posted on here.  But that was a pipe dream that vanished quickly, as did those manuscripts, which I unfortunately did not copy onto a disc.  Two involved a mysterious Bay Ridge spinster, named Miss T, who drains young men of their vital essences.  The first story was called "The Feminine Predator."  The second was entitled "Pestilence In Paris."  The third involved Mrs. Voorhees from "Friday The 13th," the making of the film, locations of people I knew, and references to "The Song Of Bernadette."  Wish I had kept that one.  Hey, I know someone who may still have a copy.  If I can get it, I will post it on here.



                             For two years, the blog floundered.  Then, when I saw "Julie and Julia," and heard Amy Adams say, "I can write a blog," I thought 'So can I.'"  But what?  Then it came to me--life in New York as only I know it, observations on my life, and lots of humor.  I was turning myself into the gay Carrie Bradshaw, and I am proud to say that, though others have compared me to Joan Rivers, and David Sedaris, compliments I accept graciously.



                              But honestly, I owe it all to Julie Powell.  If it had not been for she, I might not be sitting here writing this.



                              So, the other day, when I heard she had died on October 26, I was shocked and saddened.  So sad.  So young.  So gifted.  And poor Eric, whose marriage was rocky but somehow, they stuck together.   I have to admire that too.



                               And Julie helped pave my way.  At a reading of her second book, "Cleaving," I asked her how to entice a man romantically with cuisine.  She gave some great suggestions; saying she found liver to be the sexiest of foods.  I am not so sure about that.  But she recognized the poignance of my situation, because when she signed my copy, she wrote, "Michael--Good luck with the husband hunt.  Julie Powell."  And months later, I met David. And the rest is history.



                               I wish I could thank Julie personally.  But this will have to do.  She was taken from us too soon but left a legacy behind to inspire future cuisine arts aspirants or bloggers.



                                Thank you so much, Julie.  And Rest In Peace.


                                    Here is my favorite Julie video, where she makes cooking something seem easy.  Wish I could do this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


2 comments:

Victoria said...

I love that story!!!
SO shocked and saddened to hear of her death.

The Raving Queen said...

Victoria,
Thank you. Yes, I was saddened.
So young and talented. The cause
of death was cardiac arrest. It
sounds like it was sudden.