Followers

Thursday, November 3, 2022

Girls, Make Sure You Start Each Morning, With That Pan Toasted Nutty Flavor!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


                       If there is one food, I probably have consumed more than any other, it might be oatmeal.  Since childhood, and in my encroaching dotage, I have enjoyed a bowl every morning.  But, darlings, there is oatmeal, and there is oatmeal.



                        I was raised on Mother's Oats, which had the sweet picture of the mother feeding the child on its cylindrical cover.  When that became unavailable, I switched to HO Oats, where the phrase "pan toasted nutty flavor" originated.



                      However, most don't get the aforementioned, because too often, those who make oatmeal overdo it by pouring on too much milk, converting it to mush.  No wonder, at the end of the 1933 Little Rascals short "Mush And Milk," the kids throw their bowls at the server.  Who wants to eat mush???????????



                       Well, darlings, I have found the way.  This is what I do.



                        First, I use instant oatmeal.  McCann's Instant Irish Oatmeal, to be exact.  Each morning, I pour two boxes into a bowl, spread out the grain, then toss the barest minimum of milk onto it, so that it just barely rises.  This is the key thing to do.  Because, after microwaving it--first for 1:46, then another :29, it comes out with the underneath cooked, but the top all toasted and nutty.  Who needs sugar, girls, it is simply divine!!!!!!!!!!!!  Add some fruit--I like blueberries--and you have a pan toasted nutty breakfast.  Forget sticking to your ribs; it is just so good tasting, and good for you.



                        Our predecessors had it all wrong, when it came to making oatmeal.



                         And, of course, don't forget coffee, girls!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4 comments:

Victoria said...

ah, oatmeal! One of life’s comfort foods!
Especially in the winter!!
Rice pudding too!

The Raving Queen said...

Victoria,
My mother's favorite desert was
rice pudding. She supposedly made
a great homemade one, but the recipe
went lost, and no one was able to
accurately recreate it.

Victoria said...

My grandmother often made rice pudding
One recipe with raisins and one without.
I attempted to make it a few times but it just wasn’t the same.
We would sprinkle it with nutmeg.

The Raving Queen said...

Victoria,

I prefer my rice pudding minus
rasins. Nutmeg is good. I aksed
my sister about mother's recipe, and
she remembers hearing about it, but she
does not have it. She looked through our
mother's period edition of the Good Housekeeping
cookbook, which she has, but found nothing pertaining to
that recipe.