Followers

Monday, November 21, 2022

Girls, The Hottest Ticket In Town Opens Tonight!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!




 

                                                                              

                            And I am not talking about "The Hours," at The Metropolitan Opera.  I am talking about The New York Theater Workshop's production of many folks' favorite musical, "Merrily We Roll Along."


                             Darlings, I am telling you, this is the Taylor Swift event of the Theater Queen world.  The first day tickets went on sale for this, David, my beloved David, was on the line at the stroke of noon to get us tickets.  He was told he was number 3,000 in line, and when he eventually got someone, was told the entire run was sold out.  Can you believe it?  Locking out ME, The Raving Queen????  How dare they?


                               But I have some information.  Everyone wants to see this for its star-studded cast, and gorgeous score.  However, this 'Merrily' has rolled around quite a bit.  It was first staged by Maria Friedman in 2013, at London's Menier Chocolate Factory.  It was so successful it transferred to the Harold Pinter Theatre, in the West End, earning rave reviews, and winning that season's Olivier Award for Best Musical.  Then, in 2017, it was staged at Boston's Huntington Theatre, again directed by Maria Friedman.


                                Either she has a gift with this show, or her staging is special.  I have seen so many 'Merrily's' since the original1981 production, and this cast would seem to have the potential to  originat  come closest to the originals.   But I will not find out, unless a cast album is done, or, as I have heard rumors already, this production plans to move.  What I wonder is will Maria Friedman tweak the staging a bit for the NYTW, or does she just by rote duplicate the London production?  That sounds a bit tiring, doesn't it?  Because every 'Merrily' is different; it's a tradition, almost, like "RAGS." So, I hope something fresh and exciting is done with this.  As for Daniel Radcliffe, as long as he does voice work and keeps it up during the run, I think he will be fine.  I cannot wait to hear him sing "Franklin Shepard, Inc." and "Good Thing Going."


                                    But will those who want to really get the chance.


                                    I mean, I know "even Cream Of Wheat has lumps," but come on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2 comments:

Victoria said...

he IS doing voice work, I read!!
and just, taking better care of himself in general!!
He had a problem with alcohol for a while there

The Raving Queen said...

Victoria,
Good for the voice work, he takes
it seriously. Yes, I read he had
a drinking problem and was surprised.
But he seems able to deal with it now.