Followers

Saturday, November 26, 2022

Girls, Join Us Tonight As Svengoolie Presents That Old Favorite, "The Crawling Eye!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"


                          We all love it, darlings, but before getting into it, a message about last week.



                          David and I were supposed to miss last week, due to a dinner.  But he got the date mixed up, which was a good thing, since it tuned out I was diagnosed with Covid.  And yet I write.



                            Last week was "Fiend Without A Face," which really should have been entitled "Fiends," since there were more than one of the brain like creatures with tentacles that moved, and could choke people.  The best part was when obliterated they oozed out strawberry jam.  The film's budget must have been a godsend to Welch's.



                               Sventoonie chose an old favorite, "The Litte Shop Of Horrors."   That 1960 classic, directed by Roger Corman, with Jack Nicholson, and Buzz Miller, of "A Bucket O Blood," among others.  I had forgotten the plant Audrey grows so large, and I love the end when Seymour is one of the flowers, and yet he can still speak to his mother--"I didn't mean it."  Classic, but I wish Sventoonie had come up with something new.  It may be an audience favorite, but it is not one of mine.



                                   Unlike "The Crawling Eye," which is one of my favorites.  Like 'Fiend,' this one should have been titled "The Crawling Eyes," as, while there is a dominant one, viewers can see others crawling all over the mountain lab.  This may be the greatest Alpine film prior to "The Sound Of Music."  How Forrest Tucker got roped into this, I would love to know.  Then there are the Pilgrim Sisters, Sarah (Jennifer Jayne) and Ann (Janet Munro).  They have a psychic act, with Munro as Ann giving the best performance.  Think how much more fun this movie would have been if they had been the Psycho Sisters!  But maybe that's for another movie!



                                       This film's original title was "The Trollenberg Terror," which I kind of like.  I bet it was changed to "The Crawling Eye," being more literal and catering to the dumbed down American audiences, who have trrouble with monster ambiguity, and want to know  what they are dealing with, right away.



                                        For those who have never seen this, girls, I am telling you, you are in for a treat.  The real surprise tonight will be what film Sventoonie pullls out of his show to deconstruct.



                                         Between tonight's feature, and the Ray Milland one, the theme this month has been eyes.  Maybe Svengoolie is reminding fans to get their eyes checked.



                                          I have an appointment in January.



                                       

4 comments:

Mistress Maddie said...

Good Grief!!!!!

The Crawling Eye....I thought I was one of the few who ever saw this. And I too wondered how Forrest Tucker got roped into this film.

Victoria said...

“The greatest alpine film prior to the Sound of Music”
hahaha you funny!!!

The Raving Queen said...

Mistress Maddie,

Welcome to the blog. "The Crawling Eye" is a hoot.
And, yes, I agree about Forrest Tucker.
Feel free to drop in here anytime.

The Raving Queen said...

Victoria,
Oh, without question!