Followers

Thursday, November 17, 2022

Happy Birthday To A Not So Renowned Legend Of The Musical Stage!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


                                   Today, girls, we celebrate the birthday of Neva Small, whom I am sure most of you know from the film version of "Fiddler On The Roof," back in 1971.  Gosh, that is over fifty years.  And today, Neva, who began as a child actress, turns 70!!!!!!!!!!!!  Can you believe it?  To me, she will always be that little girl in "Henry, Sweet Henry," singing "I Wonder How It Is."



                                       David and I actually met Neva, several years back, at the Actors Temple, and she couldn't have been more gracious.  She understood my passion for musical theater, and it was nice to connect with someone who did.   Months later, at 54 Below, Neva Hosted a concertized version of "Henry, Sweet Henry," with young girls and other actors singing the score.  It was magic; if only Neva had sung the songs she originally did.  Afterward, we approached her, and she remembered us, and I gave her my cast album of "Henry, Sweet Henry, "which she autographed, and it now hands framed in this apartment.



                                           So, Happy Birthday to Neva!  I cannot believe it has been seventy years.  Hell, I can't believe what I will soon be!



                                             Listen to this celebration of Neva Small


 

                                                                                     


                                    Here is Neva, on the bottom, and her co-star Robin Wilson, as they appeared in the original 1967 production of "Henry, Sweet Henry."

                                 And here is Neva singing the song that made her a Legend Of The Musical Stage, "I Wonder How It Is."  Listen to when she gets to "Sometimes I just visualize..." I have never heard such adolescent yearning in a voice.  No wonder Bob Merrill went crazy over her talent!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

                                      

3 comments:

Victoria said...

who knew the vehicle for Robin would turn out to be for Neva! And Alice!!

The Raving Queen said...

Victoria,
Yes, Neva and Alice eclipsed Robin.
Alice got a TONY nomination for her
performance. And Bob Merrill tried to
write a show for Neva, "The Prince Of
Grand Street," with Robert Preston.
Sadly, it never made it to Broadway.

Victoria said...

What a sad story of the young girl who played Val in the movie