Followers

Sunday, November 13, 2022

Girls, Once Again It Is Time For Musical Theater Week!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


                           Darlings, can you believe a whole year has gone by already?  Now, for the uninitiated, Musical Theater Week is the period from November 13 to November 18, culminating in the birthday of yours truly.  And in between, many great legends of the American Musical Stage were born, and on one day two classic musicals opened--albeit 22 years apart.



                             Today marks the birthday of Sammy Williams, TONY Award winner and the original Paul in "A Chorus Line," whom I was proud to see, back in 1975.  It was a groundbreaking theater event, and a life changer for me.  I might not be where I am today were it not for this show and him.



                              Sammy Williams was born on November 13, 1948.  Like me, he was a Jersey boy, but from Trenton.  He escaped to NYC, like I did, and became a legend.  Sadly, he did not make it to his 70th birthday, but was pretty close, dying of cancer on March 17, 2018 (St. Patrick's Day, and just a month after my father, with whom I saw Sammy back in 1975!).



                             So, I start the week honoring and remembering Sammy.  And thanks to the media, I can bring you his classic monologue.  He always wanted a song, but what he got turned out to be better.   So many of the "Chorus Line" originals are still around; I wish Sammy was.



                              Nevertheless, Happy Musical Theatre Week to all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


2 comments:

Victoria said...

So many connections there.
I don’t really believe in coincidence or happenstance, do you?!!
I always think Divine Intervention

The Raving Queen said...

Victoria,

I agree with you. I did not
realize how it would all connect at the time.