Followers

Wednesday, July 3, 2019

A Saga, With A Nasty Twist!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


                                   I admit, I suffered trepidation, when I picked up "House Of Stones," by Novuyo Rosa Tshuma.  This first novel, set in Rhodesia/Zimbabwe, and, coming on the heals of my having recently read "The Old Drift," which I loved, I feared this might be material having been gone over before.

                                   Instead, the reader gets a story of two sons, and two generations of families.  One son has run off, the other wants to be a part of the other family, because he views that patriarch as a "substitute father."  Their histories, the back and forth of social and class conflicts, the unique scheme and betrayal the present son plays out, makes for a harrowing read that does not hit one until the very last sentence.

                                   Character driven, but backed by enough historical research, Tshuma's first novel is a spellbinding, beautifully written read.  It surprised me, to great delight, and I wouldn't have missed it for the world!

                                       Don't get caught missing this great reading experience!  Get a copy now, and realize the virtues of understated writing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

                                        What a spectacular debut!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments: