Followers

Wednesday, July 3, 2019

"It's Showtime," Darlings!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


                                   The tradition for David and I, on Gay Pride Sunday, is to go to see a Broadway show.  What better way to celebrate the day, especially when one is mature than to certify your "Theatre Queen-ness."

                                      I have to admit I was nervous.  First, I have never seen the movie "Beetlejuice," though, even if you have not, the show's story is pretty comprehensible.  Second the Winter Garden was always my favorite theatre--some of the greatest musical classics played there--"West Side Story" (1957), "Mame" (1966), and "Follies" (1971)--and it was always my dream, as a performer, to play there.

                                         Well, times have changed, and with "CATS" and "Mama Mia!" racking up record runs there, followed by "School Of Rock," I have not been inside this theater in 36 years!  I mean, not since "CATS!"  Can you believe it?

                                           It was a revelation.  When one walks in, one enters a dark, delusional world, enriched with colored lights whirling in all directions.  The first thing I would say about "Beeteljuice," which the Playbill does not, is that anyone sensitive to strobe, flashing or whirling lights should be careful with this show.   I have to confess it almost made me a little queasy.

                                              But that was alleviated by the stunning visuals, in front of me.  The set and costume designers have carefully replicated Tim Burton's vision, and there are two star performances--Alex Brightman (my choice for the TONY!) and Sophia Anne Caruso.  They play the title role, and Lydia, the Winona Ryder role.  Brightman is a bundle of manic, non-stop energy; he must be drenched and dehydrated by the end of the show, and is bound to  lose weight.   Miss Caruso, who is only seventeen, reminded me of the young Alice Playten.  She did not get a TONY  nod for this role, and it is a pity, because, not only can she belt like nobody's business, when she sings "Dead Mother's Lament," it brings substantiality to this bit of macabre whimsy, reminding me of the loss of my own parents--my father as recently as last year--and the sadness of it all, that, at times, wells up.
I had not expected to be moved.

                                           Leslie Kritzer also scores as the life coach, but it is Brightman and Caruso who walk off with the show.  That, and the giant snake, fun house head, and the unrelenting pace--this shows moves fast, like a spook house ride, only you sit in, while it is in front of you.

                                             "Beetlejuice" may not be a classic, but it is the most dazzling display of Broadway musical entertainment I have seen this season.

                                                 The house was packed. It is a hit, but get there ASAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

                                                 Who thought a show about death could be so much fun?????????????????

2 comments:

Videolaman said...

The movie is a certified classic, but DO NOT watch it on some piddling little computer window like youTube. It should be seen on a normal large TV via cable, or preferably in a theater if it ever makes repertory again. The costumes, set design, music and actors are all at the top of their game. I fell in love with Alec Baldwin thru "Beetlejuice", got my first exposure to Geena Davis, it has one of Winona Ryder's best turns, a career-clinching role for Michael Keaton, and it pulled Catherine O'Hara back into the limelight after her bizarre years-long self-imposed exile from acting. Not to mention you get to see SYLVIA SIDNEY as the grumpy, chainsmoking (thru her neck) Juno, gatekeeper/mentor of the afterlife.

Its a marvelous, perfect little movie: Tim Burton never quite topped it afterward. "Batman" was sensational, of course, and "Edward Scissorhands" a passion project that can rip your heart out every time. But "Beetlejuice" is his only film that is fully cohesive from beginning to end, and (for all its dark weirdness) an exuberant celebration of life, friendship and love. Something Burton pretty much never allowed himself to express ever again.

The Raving Queen said...


My Dear,

After your comments, and the show, I really
owe it to myself to see the film. David
just pointed out to me that, at the performance
we attended, there were people dressed as some
of the characters! I had no idea!