Followers

Tuesday, February 25, 2020

And Now, To Recount Our Vacation Week!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!



                                 Oh, my God, girls, it was simply too much.  David took last week off, which he badly needed, and a week ago today, after a doctor appointment he had, we went over to the Temple Emanuel, on the East Side, and saw their spectacular "Hello, Gorgeous!" exhibit, devoted to the one and only Barbra Joan Streisand!  Whom I wanted to be since March 26, 1964, when I was nine years old, and "Funny Girl" opened at the Winter Garden Theatre, on Broadway.

                                   There were two dresses.  The beaded one she wore in the movie, when singing "People", and the blue sailor suit one from one of the early TV specials.  There was a gigantic Broadway poster of "Funny Girl," bigger than any of the posters in this apartment, and I wanted it SO badly.

But this, darlings, this was the highlight!  In a corner, near the entrance to the second part of the exhibit--it took up two rooms, there was a replica of a recording studio set up, with real operating mikes, where folks could go in and.....BE BARBRA!  You bet I availed myself of this.

Now, it was kind of like karaoke night, because you had to follow lyrics, flashing by in time to instrumental music that I think was in BARBRA's key.  Which does not often match with me.  I chose something I have actually sung on stage, myself--"He/She Touched Me," and it did not come off too bad.  Not perfect, like I wanted, but when I hit and held those notes, there was no other existence but me blending with BARBRA!  And I still hope to do a Broadway revival of "Funny Girl."  It would be sure to impress BARBRA!

This exhibit is on till June 30.  So, for theater  queens, who have not yet gone, what is wrong with you!  And for those, who have dreamt of being BARBRA,  here is your chance!!!!!!!!!!!!

See the above photo?  THAT is how I felt, being BARBRA!

No comments: