Followers

Monday, February 17, 2020

Here Is My "Henry, Sweet Henry!" Dream!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!



                                     Those of you who have been with me a long time on here, know how much I adore this overlooked musical theater gem, from 1967.  I was just in seventh grade when it opened, and my parents were planning on taking me to see it--except it closed on December 31, 1967.

                                       Several years back, David and I attended, at 54 Below, a tribute to the show, hosted by Original Cast Member, Neva Small, and performed with girls the right age, and not the overly sexualized nymphets that get cast in "Mean Girls," which I refuse to see.

                                       I have my album jacket framed, as it was signed by Neva, herself!

                                       Thoughts of this show are always coming and going, with me.  When is ENCORES going to hit upon doing it?  That would be an event.

                                         Recently, I had a dream, pertaining to this show.  In the dream, it was 1967, and David and I, in our present incarnations, were entering the lobby of the Palace Theatre, where it actually played, so excited was I to see it.  As we sat in our seats, at some point in the dream, I heard Robin Wilson, the show's original Valerie Boyd, singing "In Some Little World!"

                                          Of course, it has also been my dream to do the show, as well.  But which part? Val, Gil ((for Marian Gilbert, whom Neva orginated) and Kafritz (the original Mean Girl, as performed by Alice Playten) all have good numbers.  How does one choose?  Any of the actresses we saw at 54 below were lucky to be performing any of these roles.

                                             Well, darlings, it is MY dream, so, I guess, because of such, I get what I want.  As instantly as a scene change, I am backstage, dressed as Val, about to go on in the role, with the stage manager giving me last minute instructions, and also saying
 that, if need be, I am to understudy Gil and Kafritz!

                                                 Then I stood in the wings, as the orchestra launched into that marvelous overture.

                                                  Pleasant dreams are just the best, darlings!

                                                   Of course, were this ever to happen, you would have to come and see me!

                                                   And, in each role!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!



There is more interest in this show than I thought!  Here is Robin Wilson, singing "In Some Little World, " from the original production.



                                        And here is Alice Playten, doing her signature number, "Nobody Steps On Kafritz."

                                         For an actual look at the show, as performed on "The Ed Sullivan Show," back in 1967, here are Alice and Company doing "Poor Little Person."  Can you theater queens spot Priscilla Lopez and Baayork Lee, among the girls?

No comments: