Followers

Saturday, February 8, 2020

What Was It, With Gary Frank, As Willie, On "Family??????????????"


                             Forty years later, as I watch some of the episodes in retrospect, I still can not fathom how so many people--straight and gay--found Gary Frank so "hot" on "Family."

                              I am not saying he was not perfect for his role.  As Willie, he projected an emotional ambivalence that made him ideal as the show's most problematic child--a high school dropout, who wants to be a writer, (Good luck with that!  And in California, yet, which, next to New York, is keenest on competition.) but, from the amount of cooking he does, should have opted for a career as a chef, and whose well off, generous and bountiful parents allow him to linger about the house, and then, move into the guest house, when Nancy gets her own place!  How I wish my parents had had a guest house when I was Willy's age.  But, then, I might still be living there.

                                That is the impression I got with Willie.  He was always going to live in that guest house.  Had the show continued, I am sure Willie would have moved for awhile, to allow Buddy, and then Annie, to get their turns, living in said guest house.  And if the show had played out, with the Lawrence parents dying, whatever inheritance the kids split, coupled with the house sale, would be very helpful for each child's future.  Except Willie would probably work out some deal, as a former resident/owner, that he could always live in the guest house.

                                   Sometimes, Willie would balk about being stuck in Pasadena forever!  Believe me, I get it!  The thing is, I always felt he would be, whereas the others--all girls--would find their place in the world.  It would just take time--as it does for all of us, and the rate of time is different for all of us.  I took a long time--but not nearly as long as Willie.

                                      But his home life does not concern me.  What does is so many people found Gary Frank, in the role so "hot."  The show constantly had gorgeous, older women, like Samantha Eggar and Elizabeth Ashley, throwing themselves at Willie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

                                        What the hell was so great about him?  First, I hated that curly hair!  I would not be seen socially with someone like that.  Second, he had no body!  No definition, no buns--where is the sex appeal?  And his ambivalent attitude--pretentious naivete, coupled with a smug arrogance--did not sit well with me.

                                            Nevertheless, Willie and his,,,,um….willie, got a lot of action during the show's seasons.

                                              But, for Heaven's sake, why?  Someone, please tell me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2 comments:

Videolaman said...

Every decade, some pretentious emo queeny "straight" dude captures the imagination of girls and women. In '70s television it was Gary Frank, for the same reason such icky icons succeed today. Gary's character was pretty in a girly way, more intelligent than the usual jock, wears his emotions on his sleeve, seems "deep", has artistic aspirations, and seems broken in that certain way many women find irresistible to try and fix. In other words, a harmless jerk. The producers of "Dawsons Creek" rubber stamped this formula for their show 20 years later, right down to all of Gary's character beats so-opted by James Van Der Beek (whose character at least seemed a hair less obviously a closet case and actually exhibited a modicum of sexuality).

There was a three way tie after the initial casting rounds for Family: Gary Frank, William Katt, and one of my friends (who's since passed). While waiting for producers to decide, Katt dropped out for another project, my friend got into an altercation with Telly Savalas during a guest appearance on Kojak, and the part of Willie fell to Gary Frank by default. Timing and luck are everything in the acting trade.

The Raving Queen said...


My Dear,

If William Katt--better looking--was being considered,
I guess all along they were looking for some curly
haired type. I wonder if the project he opted for
was "Carrie?" The time was close.

Could your "Kojak" friend have been Sammy Williams?
If you say yes, I will scream. He has passed, and he
was the original Paul in "A Chorus Line," winning a TONY
for it. He did a guest appearance on "Kojak."

As for Willie being a closet case, I always wondered. In
reality, no young man would have had that many gorgeous
women throw themselves at him. Thank God Blythe never guessed
on her--Gary Frank is not good enough for Blythe.

So, he got it be default? Interesting. He had been on some
other show before "Family," because I recognized him once I saw
"Family." But his character I liked the least!

I'd have gone for James Broderick before him!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!