Followers

Sunday, February 28, 2021

Girls, Everything Richard Powers' "The Overstory" Wasn't, Michael Christie's "Greenwood" Is!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


                                                 Meaning, although it gets in plenty of fascinating, botanical information  about trees in,  it also has a driving narrative.  A thrilling saga of  The  Greenwood family, and descendants, told backward, like the Sondheim musical "Merrily We  Roll Along."  


                                                     In other words,  it is a satisfying read.


                                                     I was surprised that homosexuality was one  of the  topics  Christie tackles, as, concerinng some of the time periods covered, I did not expect it to turn up.  But  he handles  it tastefully, and  with sensitivity.


                                                      The book moves like an ongoing train I just did not want to get off. My eyes were glued to this book until I finished; not since "The American Fiance" has a lengthy novel satisfied me  in this way.


                                                         This came out in 2019, so there may be paperbacks of it out  there.  Whatever editions  of it  you can get your hands on, darlings, read it.


                                                          For those,  such as I, whom the Powers book did not satisfy--this is IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2 comments:

Victoria said...

Ok thanks. Now I want to read it.
I was about to dismiss it as “eco-literature”

The Raving Queen said...

Victoria,
Not nearly as much as Powers.
This has a strong narrative drive.
I could not stop reading it.