Followers

Tuesday, February 6, 2024

A Very Enjoyable Read!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


                                     I am not in the habit of reading Jodi Picoult, darlings.  On a friend's request, I did read her novel, "The Storyteller," and was quite impressed, though she did not become an author I eagerly follow.  I never have heard of Jennifer Finney Boylan, and it is probably a good thing, because in reading "Mad Honey," I was not able to tell which passages were Picoult's or Boylan's.  Which speaks favorably of the novel's seamlessness.  



                                      Years ago, when I was reading more horror--a genre, that, for me, has dried up--I read "The Talisman," by Stephen King and Peter Straub.  At the time, I was so familiar with both authors' works, so I could easily tell which passages were written by whom.  The better ones came from Peter Straub.



                                       "Mad Honey" covers many issues in the course of being a mystery, a police procedural, a legal narrative, and using bees and beekeeping as metaphors for what is going on.



                                           Four people are involved--Olivia Fields and her son, Asher, then Ava Campanello and her daughter, Lily. Other characters, such as a police chief, and two abusive ex-husbands come into play, but the focus is on the aforementioned quartet.  To tell any more would be to rob the reader of experiencing the surprise and thills I did.



                                               This was the perfect entry into the present-day world, after the Victorian environment of "Bleak House."   Jodi Picoult surprised me again.



                                                 "Three is the charm," so it's said.  It would not surprise me if three is a third Picoult book in my reading future.  Though not of my own choosing.



                                                       Have fun, girls!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4 comments:

Victoria said...

I read exactly three Stephen Kings.
And that was enough for me!!!
The Stand, Misery, and one other?
Maybe IT?

The Raving Queen said...

Victoria,
IT was a good story but a thousand plus pages? Unnecessary. Misery is one of his best.
As for The Stand, one either loves or hates it. I did not like it, but I know people who think it is his best. A matter of taste.

K. Steele from Austin said...

I'm not a fan, but I've read some of Stephen King's work. The Stand was the best of the lot -- a classic battle between good and evil -- until I found 11/22/63. To explore Kennedy's assassination through the trope of a sliding-door alternate-history was just brilliant, for me. I've read it twice, and would recommend it. The mini-series it spawned does not do it justice.

The Raving Queen said...

K. Steele From Austin,

Thank you for your comments. I am not into Stephen King; I did not like "The Stand," and I tried to read "Lisa's Story" but did not get. Your remarks about "11/22/63 make me want to read that, so maybe I will give it a try. Feel free to drop in on here anytime.