Followers

Thursday, February 8, 2024

So, What Did You Learn From Last Night's Episode, Girls????????????????????????????



                       I am , of course, talking about "Feud--Capote Vs. The Swans," and its third episode, "Masquerade, 1966," centered around Capote's famed Black And White Ball, which took place, again, on November 28, 1966, at The Plaza Hotel.  Just ten days after my twelfth birthday.



                       Several things I learned were personal for me.  The first was that, had I known that the episode not only featured the filmmaker brothers Albert and David Maysles, but that the entire episode had been filmed in their hand-held camera style, I would have advised my David not to watch it, as well as any readers out there who suffer from motion sickness.  For David and the rest, I am sorry.  But, cinematically, I found it fascinating, as it was purportedly filming a documentary on Capote and the event.  I don't think that film got made.  Does any footage still exist?  Because, after witnessing the fictitiousness of last night, I would like to see the real thing.


                        Second, although Capote sent out lots of invites--which have to be handwritten on the right kind of cream, darlings; for me, that would be pink--there were many party crashers.  Chiefly, from her big scene, was Ann Woodward, superbly played by Demi Moore in what is her best acting job since 1996's "If These Walls Could Talk."  Ditto Calista Flockhart as my favorite, Lee Radziwill.  According to what I have read, Lee was not invited--can you imagine????--so, if she appeared, this is either licensed fabrication, or Lee was a party crasher.  Hey, if I could have crashed, I would have done so.


                         Third, I learned something about parents passing down things to their children.  The scenes between Tom Hollander and Jessica Lange, as Capote and his mother, Lillian May "Nina" Faulk, revealed the apple does not fall far from the tree.  Both wanted to claw their way into society; Truman's literary talent enabled him to do so.  His mother had no talent, and despite her aspirations, could never break social barriers; like Kate Nelligan as Lila Wingo in 1992's "The Prince Of Tides," she was seen by others as "Trash, just trash."


                           When I complained about bullying at school, I can still hear my mother's exasperated, oft repeated statement, "You don't understand.  These people can buy and sell us."  Which explained why my mother sent me to the less challenging school of Irving, instead of the more challenging Hamilton, where a good deal of my town's higher social gentry attended.  Like Capote, this made me aspire to higher things, like New York, writing, Broadway shows, and fancy restaurants, as well as haute couture; unlike both Capote and his mother, I am quite content with my present-day status.  Though that speech she made about "I know where you'll be going," stirred up all my Catholic fears of going to hell.  Though I always maintained a strong belief in God, this scene brought back all the guilt from old school Catholicism.  


                          It looks like this episode turned out to be more about me than Capote but let me say Lou Eyrich did better this week with the costumes, which were lavish, gaudy, and more striking than anything in the last two episodes.  What a thankful improvement.  And who spotted Marin Ireland, as guest of honor Katherine Graham?  And who was that thing who played Pamela Harriman?  She was so spot on.  It is hard to believe that Pamela became known as "The great horizontal of the twentieth century!"  And how about Jeffrey Emerson, as Andy Warhol?  As well as that aged thing trying to pass for a 19-year-old Candice Bergen, with her back to the camera?????????????


                          Darlings, it was so inspiring.  I have GOT to give a Pink Ball, at The Pierre, which is my favorite spot.


                           The whole thing brought to mind two Sondheim lines--"Careful the things you say/Children will listen.  Careful the things you do/Children will see and learn."


                             Indeed, they will.

2 comments:

Victoria said...

If the episode did turn out to be more about you than Capote, so be it!!!
I say Celebrate that!!
Art Should make us think, and perhaps reveal insights into our own lives!!!

The Raving Queen said...

Victoria,
I was surprised to find so much of myself in this episode. Yes, the episode did make me think. When young, I wanted that kind of notoriety and fame. This series shows me, as I have learned over the years, that it is not at all what it seems to us, from the outside, looking in.