Followers

Monday, February 26, 2024

Don't Be Fooled, Darlings!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


                                        Girls, I am not a Ripperologist, but every time I see a new book about Jack The Ripper--and they come out, from time to time--I have to read it.



                                           Each one claims to have solved the ultimate crime mystery, offering their assortment of facts and solutions.  I have never been satisfied.



                                             I had hope for this book.  But Russell Edwards let me down.  Yes, he extracts DNA with the help of another scientist; he even finds a descendant of one of the victims, Catherine Eddowes, a woman in England named Karen Miller.



                                              The name he chooses I will not reveal, except to say I have seen it listed as a possible suspect in other books.  Edwards does give a credible answer as to why the killings suddenly stopped.  But he still leaves so many questions unanswered.



                                                 Why did the Ripper seek only prostitutes?



                                                 Were these women random killings, or were these five specifically targeted



                                                     And, finally, why did he do it?



                                                    It would take this and more to convince me of the actual truth.



                                                   I always thought the story of Jack The Ripper was similar to the 'SVU' episode, "Hysteria," aired on October 11, 1999, with a brilliant performance by character actor Garrett M. Brown, as the killer, Peter Ridley.  Ridley hated women and prostitutes, and while murder was not justified, his hatred made sense.  When he was a child, he was raised by a mother, who had been a prostitute.  When clients would come to the house, she would lock him outside, with only saltine crackers to eat.  He became a cop, but it also gave him a chance to troll areas looking for victims.  I think the show was working out its own theory about Jack The Ripper, and while I agree with it, it has yet to be proven.



                                                  If you are into Jack The Ripper, like me, read it.  Those with a casual or minimal interest are urged to pass it up.



                                                   Afternoon tea is preferable, darlings!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!



                                                

3 comments:

Victoria said...

Thanks for saving me the trouble, as much as like True Crime, I think I’ll skip it!!

The Raving Queen said...

Victoria,
I can tell you, don't waste your time on this one!

The Raving Queen said...

K. Steele From Austin,
Thank you for sharing that info. I had no idea Steve McQueen had such a rough early life.
And you are right, he did not go around killing people. So Jack The Ripper still remains a mystery. And as long we as we live, it always will.