Followers

Monday, August 17, 2026

A Sad Farewell To My Beloved And Former Bay Ridge Animal Friend, Dexter!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


                                    I am sad to report that our former neighbor canine, Dexter, passed last week at the age of 16 1/2.  He died in Hickory, North Carolina, where his former owner, Michael had moved, from our apartment building in Bay Ridge.



                                    This picture was taken three years ago and was Dexter's last visit to our place.  How I missed him then and miss him even more now.


                                      Dexter was a mixture of a pointer and a beagle.  He was so loving, and one thing he loved was visiting our apartment, particularly our bedroom.  I daresay if he had been allowed, he would have stayed overnight with us there, and it would have been our pleasure to have him.  But his owner was a bit of a micromanager, and I think that was part of why Dexter loved visiting us, and our bedroom.


                                        He found ways to challenge his owner.  I recall one day I was visiting Dexter, and he was sitting by me, happily nibbling on a bone.  Michael kept calling him to come over to his side.  Dexter just looked at me, threw back his head, and I swear it looked as though he were laughing.  Dexter and I were in on the joke.


                                          When he left us, in 2023, a void was left not only in me but in residents of our building, all of whom adored Dexter.


                                             And now he has been laid to rest.  May he rest in peace.


                                            I recall something my former therapist, Renaldo, once said about Dexter.


                                           He said, "When you get to Heaven, Dexter will be waiting for you."


                                          I truly believe that.

No comments: