I did it, darlings. From August 11 to 13 David and I were in New Brunswick, New Jersey, where we stayed at The Heldrich Hotel, our room overlooking the State Theater on Livingston Avenue, the site of many moviegoing memories of my youth.
The old town sure has changed. At times I felt like I was in the world of David Lynch, because when darkness falls, the town still gets a bit sinister. I would not go walking around here at night, even though things have vastly improved from the 1950's and 1960's. And yes, both Rutgers University, and Johnson And Johnson Headquarters, still hold the town together.
The purpose of this trip was not so much nostalgia, though it did figure in, but to read over my parents' grave the following passage from Emily Bronte's "Wuthering Heights--"
"I lingered round them, under that benign sky, watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."
That is how the novel ends, and it being so beautiful--hey, this is Emily Bronte, and in my opinion the greatest novel in the English language! --I felt, once my parents were both interred it would be the most appropriate passage to read over their graves. But I had to wait a long time, because my father outlived my mother by 39 years, and, for reasons too complicated to go into, I was not permitted to do this at the original interment. It took eight years, but there I am reading Bronte over my parents' graves.
I was glad I did it, as there was a feeling of peace and completion. And dinner with my former classmate, Neil, helped immensely. To think we first knew each other when we were fifteen and fourteen, respectively, and look where we are now. Back then I was unable to imagine being this age, and its actuality at times seems startling.
The hotel bar had strange hours, so I was not able to have a Sea Breeze. But, hey the summer is not yet over, so there is still time.
Meanwhile, out in Piscataway, under a tree and near a gate beyond which trucks and cars pass by constantly as reminders of life, my parents now sleep soundly, being quiet sleepers now sleeping at last in the quiet of the earth. Thank you, Emily! I did it!
So now I feel my parents can rest in peace, and I feel clear, having done what I intended in the first place.
Yes, darlings, sometimes the wait is worth it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


No comments:
Post a Comment