Followers

Monday, December 19, 2022

Darlings, What Does This Line Actually Mean??????????????????????????????


                          Those of us who keep Christmas in our hearts, and out, at least know the first verse of the secular carol "Deck The Halls."  As a child, I can tell you this line puzzled me.   I did not even understand what donning an apparel meant, though I did know apparel meant clothes.



                           By puberty, I knew what the word "gay" meant, in the sense of orientation, so, when singing this carol there were those of us--and I was one--who, when singing the "word" gay, let our wrists go limp.



                            But, really, after all these years, what does it mean?  Or does it mean anything?  I pose that question to you now, darlings.



                              Let's face it, the gay community has copped this phrase, so does it mean that Christmas is meant to be like the fashion show in "Coco?"


                              Now, you have to admit, girls, we all want to look this festive on Christmas.  Even Baby Jesus would approve!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!



                                But was this what the lyricist meant?  "Deck The Halls" was written in 1862. Its lyricist was a man named John Ceiriog Hughes. He lived from 1832 to 1887, and he never married.  But he had a "partner," Annie Hughes.  



                                 It makes me wonder.  Was Annie his "beard???????????????????"



                          

2 comments:

Victoria said...

I listen to “A Way With Words” Saturday mornings on npr.
So fascinating to explore how words and phrases originate and change
And then change some More!!

The Raving Queen said...

Victoria,
David and I will have to give that a try.
Still, this phrase always puzzled me since
childhood. Odd how I fastened on to that phrase.