Followers

Friday, December 30, 2022

The Two Performance Events Of The Year--"Merrily We Roll Along," and "The Hours!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"



                          Now, I have yet to see the New York Theater Workshop production of 'Merrily,' but not for lack of trying.  Rumored to be moving to Broadway in the Fall of 2023, with its trio cast intact, this could make it a designee two years in a row.  May a CD be released, so those of us can hear it, before seeing it.



                         I did see "The Hours," and, girls, if you are a woman, or even if you simply identify as one, this is for you.  While the music is lackluster, the voices, staging, and acting are so compelling one is swept, like Virginia Woolf,into a drowning pool of humanity as three women struggle, as don't we all, with their lives and positions in the world in different places and times.  I was riveted for the entire three-and-a-quarter hours.  If there is any way you can see this, I strongly urge it.  I count myself lucky that I did.



                          Quite a year for the arts, girls!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2 comments:

Victoria said...

Hmm I will take that into consideration for our tentative nyc trip.
Hopefully tickets are a little less than the two hundred dollar Magic Flute!!!

The Raving Queen said...

Virginia,
Oh, I am sorry but "The Hours" was on a limited
run. It ended at the Met on December 15, and the film
of it in the theaters, which I saw, did so around the
same time. I don't know if it will return. You can
get an idea of it on excerpts from You Tube.

Keep us posted on that NYC trip!