Followers

Saturday, December 3, 2022

Oh, Darlings, Those Vintage Christmas Mornings!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


                   Oh, hons, I am telling you, Christmas Eve was the most exciting day of anticipation, back in 1954, and such, and it was the night peers my age found it difficult to fall asleep.  Because many of us believed in Santa Claus, and a part of me still does on that magical night, along with the Star Of Bethlehem.  And I don't mean in Pennsylvania.  



                     Getting my parents up at 7AM, because I couldn't wait, hanging onto the railing as I walked down the stairs, eyes closed, then beheld the decorated tree, lit, with all the toys in front of it.  And non toys--you know, clothes, which kids could never understand getting, but needed--which adorned the tree.



                        You know the lyric "They're going to build a Toyland Town all around the Christmas tree," from "Santa Claus Is Coming To Town?"  That is what Christmas morning was like during childhood.  



                           And the stockings, hung by that chimney.  Ah.................



                          How sad the kids of today don't have this.  Or would not appreciate it.



                         Do they even watch 'The Grinch?'

2 comments:

Victoria said...

Welp THIS grandma reads the book to her grandchildren every year!!!
I know it by heart!!
Maybe Christmas, he thought, doesn’t come from a store; maybe Christmas perhaps, means a little bit more....

The Raving Queen said...

Victoria,
Praise to you, for reading The Grinch to
those grandchildren.

I prefer Boris Karloff over Jim Carry
any day!