Followers

Friday, December 30, 2022

Without Question, The Book Of The Year!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


                                     I read "Demon Copperhead" before it became an Oprah pick, so I want all you girls to know that I am not here shilling for the Op!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!



                                      When I read a book that is a contender, instinct tells me, and it did with this novel, which was an almost can't miss.  Barbara Kingsolver, one of our best fiction writers, offering a modern take on "David Copperfield," for me, a Dickensian, and even more those who are not.



                                         Of course, I was initially worried, but let me tell you, while the romanticism is gone, the parallels and counterparts are all in place.  The only two characters missing were Jane Murdstone and Barkis.  Dickensians will know who I mean.



                                          But her take on impoverishment in America, the opioid crisis, and how it can destroy even the most loving of individuals matched the power of Dickens' rage against such things during his time.  



                                           I urge you to read it.  It would certainly impress Dickens!!!!!!!!!!!



                                          So, how about it, girls??????????????????????????????????

2 comments:

Victoria said...

Read it.
Loved it.

The Raving Queen said...

Victoria,
So glad. It really is an incredible achievement.
But, then it is hard to go wrong with Miss Kingsolver.