Followers

Monday, August 31, 2026

Introducing Gay Film #3-- 1942's "Now, Voyager!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"


                                    Before writing this post, I went over the blog to see how many, if any, posts I have written on "Now, Voyager."  I discovered I had written quite a few, and after viewing it recently, I discovered the older one gets the more one understands all the psychological subtleties and one's own past as well.



                                      I have always said this movie was "my story," and in a way it is.  It is almost like viewing two movies simultaneously because the plot comes full circle.  Let me explain.


                                       Charlotte Vale (Bette Davis), one of the Vales of Boston, has been made into a frumpy, ugly spinster with no social or romantic prospects, save to serve her sadistically domineering mother, played by--who else? --the great Gladys Cooper.  The only family member who wants to help--and she is not even a blood relative, is her sister-in-law Lisa Vale, played by the great Ilka Chase.  One afternoon she brings to tea a friend of hers, Dr.Jaquith, played by Claude Rains, in one of his greatest performances.  Completing the tea, Lisa's daughter June, who has dropped in, makes snide remarks about Charlotte, sending the poor woman into a fit of nerves.   Dr. Jaquith follows her, draws her out in her bedroom, takes a token gift from her, and confronts the mother, telling her Charlotte is seriously ill, and she belongs at his place, Cascade, in Vermont.


                                          With Lisa's help, Charlotte goes there, and slowly she transforms from the ugly duckling her mother calls her into a young confident woman, who would fit in well, and does on her South American cruise, getting along with everyone.  Particularly a single man she is matched up with, Jerry Durrance, played by Paul Henried in a heartrending performance.  He is unhappy in his life, and wants to help his daughter Tina, who is even more miserable, because, like Charlotte, she was not only a late child but an unwanted


                                              I will stop here.  I relate to this, because, while I was wanted, I myself was a late child.  I was too months premature, being born in November of 1954, rather than January 1955, as scheduled.  Early in the film Mrs., Vale says, "it is true all late children are marked," and I believe they are.  Not just with health problems but a difference from others that manifests itself when they become Tina's age.  But more on that later.


                                                  Circumstances throw Charlotte and Jerry together, and they fall in love. But the time comes to part, so cue in Max Steiner's classic, and again, heartrending score, and Chalotte returns to Boston, clashing with her mother and relations, who are shocked by her appearance and brazen outlook.  One quarrel too many makes Mrs. Vale die.  She died because she knew what Charlotte said to her was the truth--"Youd didn't want to be born, I didn't want to be born, it has been a calamity on both sides!"


                                                        In between this, Charlotte romances Elliot Livingston, a widower with two boys, played by tall, good-looking John Loder.  Now, if it were me, I would have married Elliot; he could give stability and he is easy on the eyes.  Durrance is in a situation worse than Chalotte's; his wife is the spousal version of Mrs. Vale, and the youngest daughter is headed for Charlotte's misery unless he can help.  As fate would have it, she and Jerry run into each other in Boston, and out goes Elliot.  Guilty over her mother's sudden death, she retreats to Cascade, encountering an emotionally unhappy little girl, who reminds her of herself.  It is Durrance's daughter, Tina, played by Janis Wilson in what may be the film's most heartrending performance.  Eventually, she learns who Tina is, and they bond.  Charlotte wants to raise Tina, which her mother does not, so Tina comes to Boston and transforms further.  When she sees her father, dressed in her first party dress, and walking down the stairs toward him, you better get out your hankies, girls!!!!!!!!!!!  Several may be required.


                                                          "Now, Voyager" is iconic for several reasons.  Bette Davis, Gladys Cooper and Max Steiner were nominated for Oscars, and Steiner won.  The film is most famous for the cigarette lighting scene, which represents Charlotte and Durrance's love, as he lights two cigarettes in his mouth, and hands one to Charlotte.  All over 1942 America, this ritual was copied; only screen queens like me know about it today, but it was impacting.  Davis said it was one of her favorite films, and unlike most roles, she thought about Charlotte after the story ends.  She felt Charlotte would eventually marry Jaquith and run Cascade.  I agree with the Cascade part, but not marriage, as both are too strong willed.


                                                                  Women of Charlotte's age often see themselves in her, but I see myself in Tina, because at that age, that is exactly what I was like--afraid of people, change, and while I was not unwanted, I had trouble making others understand me.  So I always wondered about her after the story ends.  With Charlotte's love and her father's, I think she would transform into a bright young woman.  My guess is she would go to Harvard, major in psychiatry, and then go work at Cascade.  But that is just me, wishing for Tina the same transformation and opportunities I was given, and remain grateful for to this day.  


                                                                   Though not nearly as pithy as "All About Eve," this film does have some great lines, which I will share with you.


                                                                     Mrs. Vale:  "Are we into botany doctor?  Are we flowers?" 


                                                                     Charlotte's first line, "Introverted, doctor!"


                                                                     Charlotte explaining to Tina about "a kind of beauty."


                                                                      Charlotte"  "I am my mother's companion. My mother's beloved daughter.  My mother's servant.  My mother!  My Mother!  MY MOTHER!!!!!!!!!!!!"


                                                                       And, of course one of the most famous closing lines in history, "Oh, Jerry, don't let's ask for the moon, we have the stars."  Darlings, as the camera rises to the stars, and Steiner's music builds, have those hankies handy.


                                                                        The gayness of this film stems, and I will speak only from the boys' perspective--from the experience once puberty sets in, gay children are instantly separated from their peers.  They don't have the same feelings as the straight ones, they isolate and feel different and unattractive.  I went through all this at Tina's age, and I cannot believe I now communicate with some I was once afraid of.  Only the person I was most afraid of then was myself, something I am sure Tina will learn.  And I am not saying she is gay.  She just mirrors my experience


                                                                            "Now Voyager" is at once a romantic drama, a Litmus Test, and one of the most well-acted films ever cast and made.  Highly recommended here; those who have never seen it, well it is about time.


                                                                             But, dear readers, "don't let's ask for the moon, we have the stars!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

                           My heart goes out to all past, present and future Tinas!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!