Followers

Friday, August 14, 2026

Theater Is Not So Ephemeral Anymore!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


                                  It used to be, darlings.  When I was a child, I enviously grilled my parents' friends, who were lucky enough to see the original productions of "Annie Get Your Gun," "My Fair Lady," even Stephen Sonndheim's "Follies."



                                     Now most on here know that is Donna McKechnie in one of her classic poses from the 1975 musical "A Chorus Line," in which she originated the role of Cassie.



                                       Youngsters may well envy me for seeing that and other original productions.  But, girls, did you know some of this can be seen on YouTube?  Not only Donna dancing solo, but the entire show, both on Broadway and at The Hollywood Bowl.  Thirty-nine years apart, but still "A Chorus Line."  And that goes for other musicals as well.



                                           Like I said, theater is not just ephemera anymore.  So, if there is a performance you may have missed, look it up.  It just might be there, and while it is not like seeing it live, one can get an idea of what the original experience must have been like.



                                              Take it from me, darlings, it is pretty thrilling!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2 comments:

Victoria said...

today’s youth are not as resilient and self-motivated, it seems.
My own grandkids included.
What can a grandparent say or do?
You have to be VERY careful; today’s daughter-in-laws are Something Else!!!

The Raving Queen said...

Victoria, Yes, there is a lack of motivation and drive in the young. And I agree with you today's DILS are more difficult than in years past. One thing I am
thankful for is having never to deal with the DIL situation. I wish you only the best.