Followers

Sunday, August 7, 2022

Remember The Whip Amusement Ride? How Come It Is Not Around Anymore? And, Really, Isn't It Just The Tilt-A-Whirl, Without Its Shell????????????????????


                                      When I was small, and Asbury Park was the most magical place on earth--and certainly magical for New Jersey! --I used to love to go on The Whip.  Being small, my father would go on with me, and hold on tight to me, so I would not go flying away.  I loved how it spun around and around.



                                         This was always regarded as a children's ride.  So, when I aged out of it, I was drawn to the Tilt-A-Whirl, especially with its red color and its clown imagery.  By then, I was old enough to ride it myself, though sometimes, for fun, my father would accompany me.



                                            Years later, in the nineties, I tried to ride the Tilt-A-Whirl and The Scrambler as an adult.  Both made me queasy, and it took some Sprite to settle my stomach.  But I never got sick.  I did learn that my days of riding such things were over.



                                             Now, I simply watch those enjoying these attractions.  One time, regarding the Tilt-A-Whirl, I came to the realization that it was just The Whip with an overhead shell attached to it.  The things I sometimes miss it, darlings!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!



                                               So, don't despair if your amusement place has no Whip, dolls!



                                               Simply go on the Tilt-A-Whirl!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2 comments:

Victoria said...

The amusement park of my childhood was Dorney Park In Pennsylvania.
The rides I remember are the flying dutchman, the zodiac, paratrooper, log flume, bucket o blood, flying bobsleds, journey to the center of the earth, and pirate’s cove.
Its mascot was Alphonso The Clown!!

The Raving Queen said...

Victoria,

I never heard of Dorney Park.
I shall have to ask my sister.
What were the zodiac, bucket o' blood
and journey to the center of the earth?
They sound fascinating.