Followers

Wednesday, January 31, 2024

I Read "Bleak House!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"


                                         Actually, darlings, it was a re-read, and after the 15 days it took me to get through it, I feel as if I have not completely emerged from its world, so gripping is the novel.



                                            Some Dickens scholars say this is his greatest novel.  I don't agree, but I did discover it is his longest, a distinction I thought was held by his last complete novel, "Our Mutual Friend," which I need to do a re-read of, too.



                                              Being older and somewhat wiser, I got more out of the novel on its second reading.  The interlocked stories of Esther Summerson and Lady Dedlock, almost every character within connected to the Jarndyce And Jarndyce litigation--which has to be the longest one in literary history--and which some call Jaundice And Jaundice.



                                               As stated, it is not his greatest work, but it is his most Dickensian, with driving narrative, a multitude of characters displaying Dickens at the height of his writing power.  What makes it not the greatest is its lacking the warmth and charm of "David Copperfield," the gothic elements of "Great Expectations," and the adventurous nature of "Oliver Twist."  Interestingly, in relation to what I call the "Big Three," "Bleak House" falls right in the middle.  Consider these years of publication--



                                               "Oliver Twist--" 1838                                                                                                                                     "David Copperfield"--1850                                                                                                                           "Bleak House--" 1852                                                                                                                                   "Great Expectations--"1861



                                            First year law students should automatically be required to read "Bleak House," not only for its legal aspects, but to challenge the minds of young people not being or refusing to be challenged by serious literature.



                                             Much as I enjoyed "Bleak House," I doubt if I will return to it again.  I am sticking with the "Big Three."



                                              But when it comes to Dickens, almost any work will do!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!



                                             

2 comments:

Victoria said...

We took mother to see A Christmas Carol in December; we all enjoyed it immensely!!!
Next month “To Kill a Mockingbird” in Norfolk!!!

The Raving Queen said...

Victoria,
It is hard to ruin "A Christmas Carol." You must tell me about 'Mockingbird.' The movie is so perfect, it's hard to imagine anyone else doing it. I saw it on Bway because of Celia; she was magic. She is coming in a new play called "Mother Play," sometime in March. You know I will be there.