Followers

Tuesday, January 9, 2024

Some Things Do Hold Up With Time, Darlings!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


                                     My third book read, "Time And Again," by Jack Finney, I read years back, but I got more out of it on this reading, being older, and having a stronger historical grasp on New York.



                                      This may strange but it bears a resemblance to Mary Shelley's "Frankenstein."   In that novel, it is never fully explained how the Creature is created--no Universal lab, here! --and it is sort of the same with this novel.  Though Simon Morley works on a government project, his travels are never explained except as some sort of self will where he transitions to another time period.  No doubt, this book is the gold standard for time travel novels, but if it were as easy as the books makes out, I know I would be traveling back and forth all the time!



                                             Especially to the period Finney covers, New York City in 1882, emphasis on a building I have always been fond of--the Dakota.  Within this era, Morley falls in love with a woman named Julia Charbonneau, whom he brings back to the present, and together they solve a diabolical mystery involving a building fire, documents, and a corrupt fiancé whom Julia almost married.



                                                Between the action and the gorgeous descriptions and photographs, this book moves with the speed of the aforementioned blaze.  I am so glad I re-read this; I must read its sequel, "From Time To Time," this year.  Those who haven't read this, are in for an absorbing treat.



                                                  This book certainly made up for the previous one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2 comments:

Victoria said...

now I’M wanting to re-read it!!
One of my all time favorites, as a wannabe New Yorker and time traveler!!!
I taught my grandchildren The Charleston

The Raving Queen said...

Victoria,
I am sure your grandchildren do a mean Charleston.
The book is really worth re-reading; I got so much more out of it the second time!