Followers

Tuesday, January 9, 2024

The Second Book Read Of The Year Did Not Do It For Me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


                                           I read Justin Torres' "We The Animals," when it first came out in 2011, and I can tell you it did nothing for me.  "Blackouts" won the National Book Award For Fiction, and I can recommend it to connoisseurs of Queer Fiction, but aside from that this novel did nothing for me.



                                              It incorporates an historically famous study on human sexuality--not Kinsey, though the name is mentioned more than once--with the story of a dying man, Juan and his companion, Nene, as they sort through both the study and a review of Juan's life.  The prose style is pristine, but the story and characters are not at all engaging.  Nor are they repulsive; they are just not that interesting.  Torres scores, with me, the same result he did with 'Animals;' interesting on a glance but nothing that is going to stay with one.  Unless his next book is a really breakout one, I will not be following this writer.


                                                Sorry, girls!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2 comments:

Victoria said...

well once again Thank You for saving me the time!!
I’ll cross it off my list!!!

The Raving Queen said...

Victoria,
By all means, do. Too many books, too little time.
I had hopes, but they were dashed. At least it was short.