Followers

Thursday, January 25, 2024

"Raise Those Candles High," Darlings!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Sixties Baby Boomers Have Lost An Icon--Melanie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


                          Many of you on here know my Woodstock story--how, at 14, I was caught by parents' friends hitchhiking on the Jersey turnpike trying to get to Woodstock, only to be dragged home and sent to my room, where I listened to the whole thing on the radio.



                            But, oh, my God, when Melanie, in the middle of the night, and amidst a rainstorm did "Lay Down (Candles In The Rain"), girls, I am telling you, I cried, I screamed so loud my parents came rushing from their bedroom to see what was wrong with me.  I was just blown away by Melanie's rendition, and, over the years, Melanie has continued to astonish with her talent, and the joy of her artistry.



                             Sadly, on January 23, Melanie passed away after an illness.  She was just ten days shy of her 77th birthday, which would have been on February 3.  Same as Blythe Danner, though Blythe is four years older.  Melanie is just 24 days older than Shelley Plimpton, whose birthday is February 27.



                             Melanie left us all too soon, but she left a vibrant legacy.  I have included a sample below.

                            Here is the full recording of "Lay Down (Candles In The Rain").



                             Rest In Peace, Melanie




1 comment:

Victoria said...

OMG your Woodstock Story!! Priceless!!!!