Followers

Friday, October 9, 2026

How Could I Have Missed "Klute?" After All These Years???????????????????????


                          "Klute" was a big surprise, because it is not just one, but three, movies.  It is first an exposition of New York City in the Seventies, when the city was at its worst.  It takes the viewer inside the life of a professional call girl, circa 1971, and it is also a film noir mystery.



                         And it is Jane Fonda's show.  As Bree Daniel, she commands the screen every time she is on it, which is quite a bit, for the good of this film.  The film also exposes American suburban hypocrisy, because not only is the antagonist foreshadowed, I spotted him right from the start. His is played by Charles Cioffi, and the monologue he has with Fonda near the end is a masterwork in acting, and line delivery.



                         It is also a taut screenplay, written by Andy Lewis and David E. Lewis.  Who the hell are they, and how did they get this far?  Did they ever write anything else?



                          The film starts at a suburban party where the workers of a corporation are gathered and bemoaning the disappearance of the hostess' husband. Tom Gruneman on a New York business trip awhile back.  Did something happen to him?  Was there another woman?  He is asked by his boss, Peter Cable, to go to New York and investigate.  And once we get to New York, darlings, we see all aspects of life there, and I know my 16-year-old self would have been fascinated The city was drawing me in, even then.



                              What follows is a detailed maze of sexual intrigue, led by the brilliance of Fonda, but supported, in turn, by a surprisingly sexy performance by Donald Sutherland.  I have never, under any circumstances, thought this man sexy, but director Alan J. Pakula taps something dark and lurking within him.  It is one of his best performances as well.



                                  Had I seen "Klute" in 1971, it would not have stopped me from coming to New York but might have given me more of an insight into what I might be in for.  No, girls, none of my experiences matched Bree's, but we all have our stories to tell about New York, don't we, darlings?



                                    Few movies dissect New York City as sharply as "Klute."



                                    But, girls, please--not that Jane Fonda hairstyle!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!



                                     



                                     



                                     





1 comment:

Victoria said...

I’ve never been a big fan of Jane but this movie was outstanding!!