Followers

Friday, June 21, 2024

Happy First Day Of Summer, Darlings!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


                                      Judging from the above picture, someone out there understands my teachings.  Today, June 21, is the First Day Of Summer.  Though so far removed from childhood it seems hidden in the mist, as Scarlett O'Hara would say, it nevertheless, despite the heat, remains my favorite time of year. The sun shines brightly, dressing becomes lighter and more colorful, and even if working or retired, there is still somewhat of an emotional ease during this time, which I think is a leftover resonance from our childhoods.



                                        I have so many memories of Summer--the annual locking myself out of the house, driving my maternal grandmother, who lived with us, crazy; and my annual stops at the Dairy Queen for a Black And White Milkshake, A Vanilla One, then Butterscotch, and, lastly a Hot Fudge Brownie Delight, which, enticing as it looked, and as flavorful as it was, I could never finish.  Too much richness.  



                                            But since the Dairy Queen was only a block and up the street from my house in Highland Park, New Jersey, it was a major player in my early life.  It tried to become something of a teen hangout, but did not offer enough privacy.



                                              As the Gershwins wrote, during "Summertime," "the livin' is easy."   Even as an elderly boomer, it seems that way.  But it is also a sad, reflective time.  Yesterday was the last day of Spring, meaning today is the halfway mark for Proserpina to be above ground on Earth.  And tomorrow is The Longest Day Of The Year, which compounds night problems--which is the shortest night? --and then, slowly, inexorably, the days start getting shorter.  Which thankfully does not become noticeable until sometime past Labor Day in September.



                                              So, let us welcome the Summer.  Here is the perfect song to issue the season in--one of Nat King Cole's classics.


                                   Here we are, girls--"Those Lazy, Hazy Crazy Days Of Summer."  Enjoy!



                                  And yes, I wish that Summer could always be here!



                                But no way am I moving south of the Mason Dixon line!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


                                        


2 comments:

Victoria said...

Let’s see if you get this.
I’m still in Texas and my lil ole iphone is not co operating.
The heat here is Something Else.
It breaks my skin out worse than Virginia heat for some reason.
Yet I’m ashamed to complain at all, having the luxury of air conditioned buildings and vehicles.
Many do not, and it is deadly.

The Raving Queen said...

Victoria,
Yes, I got your message. Nice to hear from you.
Years ago I was in Dallas, and I found the heat oppressive,
but it was a dry heat. Not like here, or in New Orleans!
Enjoy your time in Texas!