Followers

Sunday, July 11, 2021

Here Comes Question #4--"When Did You Know For Sure That David Was 'The One?' "


                                      This is a joyous query, unlike the last.   I am sure many readers have wondered about this, so I  will  share this with all, including those who, like I at one time,  felt consigned  to terminal  spinsterhood.


                                        It goes like this.  A friend of mine suggested I join Match.Com, which I was unwilling to do, at first, because the whole online thing intimidated  me.  I finally decided, having nothing to lose, and having tried all else, to  give it  a try.

                                     
                                         Things did not go well in the beginning, and I became very frustrated.  I gave up, when  I came  upon this attractive,  seemingly nice guy--I will call him  Joe, though that might have been his real name, anyway.  What caught my eye about him was that he lived in Cedar Grove, New Jersey, which I knew very well, because that is where my Aunt Martha and Uncle Jack lived, during my growing up years.  So, I got in touch with this guy, who was equally intrigued that I was someone who had heard of Cedar Grove.  Now, I had not  gotten around to posting a  picture, but, since he asked me  to, I  did.


                                            I heard back from him, but the message was anything but positive.  In retrospect, I will say, to his credit, it was  to the point.  Almost too much.  His response was something like, "I am sure you are a very nice guy, but you are  just not attractive enough for  me."


                                                Well, I was crushed.  But I had been writing my blog for three years by this time, in  2010, so I fired back with a response of  my own; something like, "Thank you for letting me know in advance how genuinely superficial you are."


                                                    And that was  that.


                                                    For six weeks, I stayed off the site, with money going down the drain.  Finally,  I did some thinking outside the  box.  The way this worked was they sent you pictures and info. of  guys they thought  you/I might be interested in.  But, what, I  thought,  about the ones  they did not send?  I began to search there, and, this is  the  truth, the  first pic  I happened upon was David!


                                                       We began a tentative correspondence on the site,  then he suggested we  meet.


                                                         The date was May 8, 2010.  It was an omen, because two years before, on this very date, I had attained my dream of seeing "The Song Of  Bernadette" on the  big  theater screen; specifically, the Walter Reade at Lincoln Center, then having a Jennifer Jones  Retrospective.   It also was/is the birthday of one of my favorite coworkers.


                                                          On said date,  in 2010, it was  pouring rain.  I had my rainbow umbrella, which I called my "Umbrella Of Cherbourg" umbrella, named after one of the most  romantic movies ever made.    We met  at the Riviera Cafe, near Seventh Avenue South, which is now defunct.  It was meant to be casual;  just drinks  and talk, but it turned out  to be  longer, and evolved  into  dinner.  We just clicked.  He walked me to  the station; I was then living in Woodside, Queens, and, while functional, was not happy about it.  He was living on Bethune Street, in the West Village, but  don't go  thinking glam, girls; it was a narrow,  several floor walkup.  Murder on my feet and back.  Even my walkup  in  Woodside was easier to navigate.


                                                             Phone conversations followed.  So did  a  second  date.  After  that, when David walked me to the subway station--Christopher Street, of  course,  because we returned again to the Riviera Cafe--he said  to me, "Have a good evening, dear."  No one had ever called me "dear," and the warmth in which he said it told me, then, that he was "The One."


                                                                A  picnic followed, sometime after, then we went  to  his place.  And,  save  for  my heart ablation last year, we have been together, since.  We were married  on January 10, 2017.


                                                                That's it,  girls, plain and simple.


                                                                 So,  those  who may think yourselves terminal spinsters,  stop  thinking that way.


                                                                 Look what  can happen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!






                                      

2 comments:

Victoria said...

LoveLoveLove!!!!
It is never too late for romance!!

The Raving Queen said...


Victoria,
That is for sure! And I stand
as proof!