On that famous 'Lucy' episode I mentioned the other day, where she was deriding Phipps, she mentioned their "fountain tearoom." This used to be a staple of department stores; what happened to them? For that matter what has happened to department stores????????????
Going shopping, as I can recall, used to be such an elegant experience. That was part of the excitement of it all, And most stores of this era had fountain tearooms. Remember the Birdcage Restaurant at Lord And Taylor's? I dined there many times. Now, both it and Lord And Taylor are gone.
Culture and class are going to hell in a handbasket. Are we turning into a nation of slobs? Does the workplace still demand people dress impeccably? I mean, before we know it, tank tops will be Summer work ware, if they are not already! And, as I have said often, there are just some people who ought not to be seen in tank tops. Only they do not realize it.
Who knew one could learn so much from an episode of "I Love Lucy!"
My childhood in the early Sixties was where one had to dress up visiting relatives, or going to an important place, like an airport.
Now, people dress like bums!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Like the song says, "Whatever happened to class?????????"

No comments:
Post a Comment