Girls, I am telling you, "Svengoolie" is really scraping the bottom of the barrel by offering this. I never knew George Romero's 1968 masterpiece was ever remade, and I do not want to see it.
I mean, darlings, who can forget the original's opening with Barbara (Judith O'Dea) and her brother Johnny, (Russell Streinver) looking like a nerd /serial killer, going to visit the gravesite of a loved one. Barbara is all decked out with a hairstyle suggesting Candace Hilligoss in "Carnival Of Souls," only she cannot pull it off as she is not that pretty. Clearly, she is headed for spinsterhood, which is a kind of death in itself, so when Johnny becomes one of the undead, and Barbara gradually loses her mind, rushing into a pack of zombies, thinking she has finally found Johnny, she either becomes a zombie or is consumed by them. Since this is the last time she is seen in the film, I would vote for the latter. But since spinsterhood was ahead for her, why not?
But the original had stunning black and white photography, and who could forget Karen Cooper, who stabs her mother on camera with a spatula? And one of the dead eating a bug from a tree? This was a big deal in 1968, and, viewed today, it still is.
Whomever thought they could remake this classic is sadly mistaken. The only remake I can endorse--and it is one of the few better than the original--is Judy Garland's 1954 "A Star Is Born."
But then Judy Garland says it all. We have chosen a more sensible alternative for tonight than last week, and I will share that with you tomorrow.
I am pleading with you, girls, skip "Svengoolie" tonight altogether.
You will not regret it or miss a thing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments:
Post a Comment